Insulin gtt ratesRegister Today!
- by *LadyNurse* Feb 23What is the highest rate for an insulin gtt that you have come across?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=817519©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,059 Views
- Feb 23 by MLB55It was between 60-70ml/hr or unit/hour. Guy it pancreatitis.
- Feb 23 by MullyWas that 60-70 Units/hour? That's some sugar minimizing madness!
...Whoops, I re-read that it was units/hour. Crazy.Last edit by Mully on Feb 23 : Reason: I'm blind.
- Feb 23 by *LadyNurse*Wow...
The highest that I've seen was 49 units/hour.
- Feb 25 by commonsenseQuote from *LadyNurse*I once had to bolus in 37 units, then run the infusion at 30 units/hr.What is the highest rate for an insulin gtt that you have come across?
- Feb 25 by armyicurn100 u/hr.
- Feb 25 by prep861120 units/hr.... U guys must have had some insane potassium shifts....
- Feb 25 by armyicurnEverything at my current ICU is insane!
- Feb 25 by Sun040875 units and hour. I think that was the most before he died. No matter the amount he was on, his blood sugars kept going up.. I think his last BS was in the 600 range.
- Feb 27 by hodgieRNThis is no lie...We had one pt in the unit who was super sick. I don't know exactly what was happening but he was an MVA, open belly (left open), DI, cerebral edema, IV paralytics, and a million other things. The gtt was mixed in 1000ml NS with 1000 unit of insulin and the bedside RN was infusing it at like 500-750/hr. The pt BG was still in the 500's. The pharmacist was tubing bag after bag. Some type of insulin resistance with crazy blood sugars and just really sick. No lie..it was like 500-750 units/hr per the Glucostabilzer. And no, the RN wasn't pulling the sample from line with D5 or TPN. He just went up and up and up. Crazy. It went on for about 36 hr and then things kind of calmed down. Other than that, highest gtt I've seen is in the 20-30's.