Fecal Management SystemsRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Fecal Management Systems in MICU / SICU Nursing, part of Critical Care Nursing ... I am doing some research on fecal management systems (FMS). FMS are utilized for your bedridden,...by JulieRees Mar 9, '12I am doing some research on fecal management systems (FMS). FMS are utilized for your bedridden, immobilized or incontinent patient with liquid or semi-liquid stool.
Has anyone used a Flexi-Seal, ActiFlo or DigniCare fecal management system. If so, which one have you used or do you prefer and why.[/h]Thank You kindly.Poll: What Fecal Management System Do you Prefer?
38 Votes / Multiple Choice
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=683998©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 4,687 Views
- Mar 28, '12 by JazzyK89I don't really prefer DigniCares, it's just what my hospital carries. Never used the other two...
- Apr 6, '12 by CrufflerJJWe use FlexiSeal, and I've never used the other two systems.
FlexiSeal either works in your pt or it doesn't (leakage).
- Apr 6, '12 by PneumothoraxDigicares leak too... oh what fun with a gi bleed and poo everywhere...
- Apr 11, '12 by VespertinasI also use a nasal trumpet connected to a foley bag.
Before you call me crazy, research has shown that it's actually less damaging to the rectum (and way cheaper too!)
- May 2, '12 by edmiaOur hospital only carries one FMS -- FlexiSeal. Honestly, I find that it is a waste of money. Leakage, leakage, leakage! Especially hard to get a good seal and containment on overweight patients.
I've had much better luck with a cheaper rectal tube and foley bag system.
- May 2, '12 by turnforthenurseRNWe have FlexiSeals and from my experience, all they do is leak!
- May 3, '12 by HoozdoI have used both FlexiSeal and Actiflo. They both leak slightly but it is better than nothing, by far. I prefer FlexiSeal probably because I have used it much more. Both of them will come out if you have a very aggressive cougher.
I have never tried a nasal trumpet and foley bag. It is a very creative idea!
- May 3, '12 by hodgieRNOur hospital used flexiseal for a while and then we switched to Dignicare. I think Dignicare works better....it's shaped like a cone and I think the leakage is much less. Plus, dignicare is rolling out an improved version. It is better coated and the odor is better contained.
- May 4, '12 by ohiostudent'RNDignicare- leaks EVERYWHERE!!!!