Fecal Management SystemsRegister Today!
- by JulieRees Mar 9, '12I am doing some research on fecal management systems (FMS). FMS are utilized for your bedridden, immobilized or incontinent patient with liquid or semi-liquid stool.
Has anyone used a Flexi-Seal, ActiFlo or DigniCare fecal management system. If so, which one have you used or do you prefer and why.[/h]Thank You kindly.
- Mar 28, '12 by JazzyK89I don't really prefer DigniCares, it's just what my hospital carries. Never used the other two...
- Apr 6, '12 by PneumothoraxDigicares leak too... oh what fun with a gi bleed and poo everywhere...
- May 2, '12 by edmiaOur hospital only carries one FMS -- FlexiSeal. Honestly, I find that it is a waste of money. Leakage, leakage, leakage! Especially hard to get a good seal and containment on overweight patients.
I've had much better luck with a cheaper rectal tube and foley bag system.
- May 2, '12 by turnforthenurseRNWe have FlexiSeals and from my experience, all they do is leak!
- May 3, '12 by HoozdoI have used both FlexiSeal and Actiflo. They both leak slightly but it is better than nothing, by far. I prefer FlexiSeal probably because I have used it much more. Both of them will come out if you have a very aggressive cougher.
I have never tried a nasal trumpet and foley bag. It is a very creative idea!
- May 3, '12 by hodgieRNOur hospital used flexiseal for a while and then we switched to Dignicare. I think Dignicare works better....it's shaped like a cone and I think the leakage is much less. Plus, dignicare is rolling out an improved version. It is better coated and the odor is better contained.
- May 4, '12 by ohiostudent'RNDignicare- leaks EVERYWHERE!!!!