FLmed 3,392 Views
Joined Jul 17, '12.
Posts: 165 (41% Liked)
Top Ten Reasons To Work An Overtime Shift On The Weekend
10. Think of all the weight you'll lose from not getting to eat because of short staffing.
9. Think of the closeness you'll develop with your co-workers after being knee-deep in Code 10's/Blues and Code "Browns".
8. Everyone is so frazzled, so next to them you look fabulous!
7. Think of what a challenge it will be to your nursing skills to run a Code without a Crash Cart because they are all down in Central being replaced.
6. The joy of having the previous shift's charge nurse tell you, " I don't understand why no one would return my calls to work today/tonight. Oh, and by the way, you are short two nurses and a CNA for this shift with a full house of patients sick as dog dirt."
5. Because you're a new grad and you want to be a "TEAM PLAYER" like your head nurse told you to be. (That and you have "sucker" stamped on your forehead!)
4. When you go home with your back aching from not having any nursing assistants who work weekends and your feet aching from running your butt off for "emergency procedures" (like the gas pain your patient has had for a week that is suddenly unbearable) you'll know that you really ARE a caregiver.
3. Think of all the computer skills you'll gain from putting in your own orders and ordering supplies from Central. (That can go on your resume' as...."Know how to operate multiple outdated computer models.")
2. You don't have time to adequately chart so you may get to learn how our judicial system works. On the bright side, your handwriting will be so bad that it can say whatever you want it to say!
1. Think of what a GREAT "Learning Experience" this will be. Translation: You just got shafted!!
This is the first time I've come across the notion that only hot, young people should join nursing. To be a good nurse, and to be liked by the patients, you need to fulfill their needs. Many patients who come into the hospitals are already married or are partnered, so most do not care how you look. In addition, when people are in pain, romance is the last thing on their mind. They'll be very thankful if you alleviate their pain, and it doesn't matter if you are handsome as Gerard Butler or as "ugly" as DJ Qualls.
In any job personality, team work, and skills are far more important than looks.
Advertise With Us