vancomycin and peripheral iv's
- 0Feb 10, '09 by newrn05Can anyone give me any sites or info on whether or not you can give vanco in a peripheral iv. A co worker and I were discussing it but I can not find any evidence based info.
- 4Feb 12, '09 by PICC ACECAN you do so? Sure,it's done all the time. SHOULD you? That's a little different. When deciding if a med needs to be infused centrally or not,one of the considerations is the pH of the solution. Very high (alkaline) or very low (acidic) pH solutions should be given centrally. If given peripherally,there is a high risk of damaging the inner lining of the vein and causing phlebitis or thrombus. Vancomycin is one the more acidic drugs out there,with a pH of 2-2.2,no matter how it's prepared. For comparison,the pH of normal stomach acid is 1-3.
- 2Feb 12, '09 by ChayaPICC/ Central line is the preferred route; peripheral is accepted if necessary. Administration via midline is not an acceptable route. Will try to find the source for you; these recommendations came from an IV CE course I took a couple of years ago.
- 0Feb 12, '09 by PICC ACEReference for the above is the Infusion Nurses Society standards of practice from 2006. "Therapies not appropriate for peripheral-short catheters include continuous vescant therapy,parental nutrition,infusates with pH less than 5 or greater than 9,and infusates with an osmolality greater than 600 mOsmol/L."
- 1Feb 15, '09 by iluvivttotally agree with PICC ace . Do not delay a dose while waiting for a CVC. Start a PIV then secure an appropriate CVC as soon as medically feasible. Plan ahead and if you know patient will require abx for awhile request a PICC be placed to preserve the peripheral vasculature.
- 0Feb 17, '09 by barefootladyHad an incident just last night over PIV infusing Vanco on AM shift, site very, very edematous, red, hard, and painful to resident. Pulled line, started another, wrote incident report, talked with DON, and of course, since this was an incident involving one of the pets, was told "just do not let it happen again." WHAT!!!!!!! I found the mess, I did not create the mess, I had been off and this was a new resident to me. Even in resident who have ports and other devices, this facility wants an Act of God to use them. Just another reason why I am looking for a new job.