Not allowed to SIT during 12 hour shift and MORERegister Today!
This is a discussion on Not allowed to SIT during 12 hour shift and MORE in Medical-Surgical Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... I have had it. On the premise that we must get our scores up, we are now given assigned...by katieusa Jan 16, '10I have had it.
On the premise that we must get our scores up, we are now given assigned charting times, one time per shift , must chart in a break room (this never works because our assigned charting times are when our patients are needing help, getting new admits, others are at lunch, etc.). We are not allowed to sit down to chart at the station at any time. We are told to "Get up and get moving" if we do sit down and chart. If we are sitting, we are told that it is "percieved" that we are not doing anything. So we are totally on our feet for 12 hours and then end up staying over to chart. We are not allowed to manage our own time and chart when we have the opportunity to. If another nurse, lab tech, or RT or someone stops and communicates with us about our pt. at the nurses station, we are told to get moving, we are being "percieved" as not doing anything. I am fed up with not being allowed to do my job. The last few days would have been really good days at work. But this situation ruined them. I am so angry and frustrated. I have already turned in my notice and others will soon follow. They will be losing good nurses. No efforts to communicate the level of stress that these rules are adding to the job are listened to. So, "percieve this"...I am outa here.
And if my next job is like this, I will be gone from there too! I WILL NOT be treated like a child any longer. I am an educated professional and I take great care of my patients. I am done with the scripts, being told when to sit or stand, and all the other garbage that does not help patients or employees. And I mean, DONE.
Had to vent.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=450426©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 11,302 Views
- Jan 16, '10 by BlindsidedI am sick after reading this post, that's all I can say. I am sorry we're being pushed to this point. So sorry for you and your co-workers. I won't even touch the patient satisfaction score thing. Keep us posted! For now, take a breath and relax...you're currently receiving a big hug
- Jan 17, '10 by gwendelynWrite to your state nursing board and encourage others to do the same. This is flat wrong. The people running your hospital should be ashamed of themselves.
- Jan 17, '10 by nursel56It makes me just sick to hear it, too. Sick, and angry. I'm already hearing stories about nurse managers taking the side of patients who, for example do not want to ambulate after surgery or stay on a diet restriction. Why? Poor scores. A vicious circle is really starting to wind around. I do so hope you are hired by a place that values you, katieusa.
- Jan 17, '10 by katieusaThanks for your comments and online hugs . It never occurred to me to write the board of nursing. Good idea. I have 2 more days to work and will make the best of them.
- Jan 17, '10 by tewdlesThis is just silly...sounds like ineffective management.
- Jan 18, '10 by doubleplayGood for you!!! The hospital doesn't care about you so you did the right thing and told them what they could do with that kind of job. I don't know what it is going to take for these hospitals to give a dang!!!
- Jan 19, '10 by noreenlMuch love and hugs to you and your fellow inmates!:smackingf:redlight:
- Jan 19, '10 by BlindsidedMy husband thought of a new name for this current non-sitting trend..."Scared Sitless." OP, have others resigned too? I'm sure there are many who just can't leave because of this economy.
- Jan 21, '10 by NJNursingIs there an actually WRITTEN policy on this? If not, then they can't really enforce diddly squat. Until it's written, it's not law and if you're tired and feet/legs hurt, then how are you giving good patient care? That is the stupidest thing I've even heard. Next they'll want you to hover to pee or else you'd be sitting.