The New Grads I Know...Register Today!
- by RxOnly Jan 15The New Grads I know in MA got jobs in the following areas:
Pediatric office (two RNs)
Methadone Clinic (one RN)
Detox facility (three RNs and two LPNs)
"Adult Day Care" (LPN)
Home Health (one RN and one LPN)
Something they all had in common is that they applied for hospital jobs knowing their chances were slimmer, but graciously accepted whatever offers came their way and made the best of it. Times are tough. It sucks and all we can do is pray for change.
I'm in Southeasten MA. I used to work at the Detox facility I mentioned. My manager actively sought new grads because she felt they were eager and easy to train (we also didn't pay much). One of the new RNs put in her time and got a job on the detox unit of the local VA hospital. Now she's making twice as much and has more opportunity to transfer.
Notice none of these are hospitals? My hope is that everyone finds that dream hospital job, but any nursing experience is better than no nursing experience!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=808694©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 3,335 Views
- Jan 15 by KelRN215Post this in the MA forum! There are a ton of new grads on there looking for ideas!
- Jan 15 by RxOnlyI'll repost it if one of the admins don't switch it over! They're usually good about that stuff
- Jan 18 by MBrickleI graduated as an ADN. Two students got hospital jobs (one worked as a CNA on the floor that hired her) I am in pedi home health, a couple others got agency jobs, one methadone clinic and one doctors office. Not sure about the rest.
- Jan 19 by CapeCodMermaidWhy is it I read on here about "lots" of nurses unable to find a job. I have several openings and not a good resume' in the bunch. Any Ideas?
- Jan 19 by RxOnlyQuote from CapeCodMermaid@CapeCodMermaid, if you mean you're in management, I'd be glad to have you as my boss any day. I find myself "liking" a lot of your posts on this site (we have similar opinions!) Are you in LTC? I think a lot of nurses overlook LTC because of all the stigma that the not-so-good facilities have. Where abouts is your place? I may be able to send a great nurse your way!!Why is it I read on here about "lots" of nurses unable to find a job. I have several openings and not a good resume' in the bunch. Any Ideas?
- Jan 19 by CapeCodMermaidThanks for the kind words. Yes, I'm management. My facility is on the South Coast. Send me a PM if you want some details
- Jan 19 by BostonFNPQuote from CapeCodMermaidWe have openings for nurses too and we haven't had all that many applicants. almost none have appeared to put any work into their résumé/cover letter. Jobs are out there!Why is it I read on here about "lots" of nurses unable to find a job. I have several openings and not a good resume' in the bunch. Any Ideas?Last edit by BostonFNP on Jan 19
- Jan 19 by KelRN215I left a hospital that- since the summer of 2011- has been exclusively hiring new grads because they're cheaper. Now, they just eliminated a bunch of positions and closed an entire inpatient unit so I don't think they're currently hiring but since July of 2011, my floor hired more new grads than they did in the 5 years I worked there.
- Jan 19 by LadyFree28Quote from BostonFNPPLEASE put this out on AN to all the new grads, lol...I've only added my 2 cents for people to talk to people to help them with their résumé...I had a nurse recruiter critique my résumé before graduation (May 2012)...by September/October, went through the screening process, had two interviews, November, had an interview plus shadow, December, after all my references checked out, accepted the job, start in February...yes, the jobs are out there and there is a process, and I'm in the Philly area with thousands of new grads. It takes time...but it starts with a strong résumé! I hope they reach out to you all!
We have openings for nurses too and we haven't had all that many applicants. almost none have appeared to put any work into their résumé/cover letter. Jobs are out there!