Assistant DirectorsRegister Today!
- by CapeCodMermaid Jun 12I am going to be hiring a new assistant DON. What are your expectations for the position? I know I have my own, but having been told on more than one occasion I expect too much, I thought I would put the question to the DONs out there.
I've already had 2 inhouse people apply but one is an LPN and I must have an RN.
- 1,979 Views
- Jun 13 by cienurseMy first expectation for my ADON is that she maintains a united front with me at all times. It's okay to disagree behind doors but there can be no undermining or gossip on the units. My ADON is the clinical supervisor and, as such, is expected to be clinically up to date on all procedures, so as to be able to provide education and guidance on the units. My ADON is champion for our clinical processes such as falls and skin care. She maintains the logs, makes rounds with the nurses, and assures documentation is complete. She provides inservicing and/or counselling as appropriate for falls. My ADON receives pink copies of all telephone orders and follows up on each one to assure the order is transcribed accurately and that the resident is receiving what was ordered. My ADON checks all new admission charts for accuracy, completeness of assessments, and appropriate documentation. My ADON attends care plan meetings weekly and covers the dining room during lunch once a week. My ADON covers occasional shifts when coverage cannot be found and participates in the on-call rotation list for weekend coverage. She is always the first to volunteer and she is admired and looked up to on the units. My ADON serves as contact for the Oxygen, Specialty Mattress, and Wound Vac companies. She is my hero, my right arm, and I have NO IDEA what I would do without her!
- Jun 17 by Havin' A Party!How many hours is your ADON averaging, cie?
- Jun 17 by cienurseShe is not salaried so she punches in and out and is kept to 40 hours-she's just amazing!
- Jun 18 by cienurseIf I could, I'd make a few just like her to fill my empty positions! I've had a 3-11 open for months now and just can't seem to fill it. I need someone with experience who is a great multi-tasker and manage being the working supervisor. Only had someone like that once and it was heaven!! Til home healthcare lured her with money and benefits!! We've been stuck ever since and piece-mealing it together with per diems and anyone that we can get to pick up the shift! So clone?! YES!! I wish I could!!
- Jun 18 by LTCRN4LIFEShe did....I have the clone I just hired her and I gave her the same list. You'd of thought I wrote that.
- Sep 13 by HinnahwillIt sounds like she could also leap over buildings in a single bound
- Sep 16 by LTCRN4LIFEMy ADNS also takes call every other weekend.