Random drug tests - Page 7Register Today!
- Sep 28, '12 by jadelpnOP, maybe it is just me, but I am having a hard time following you. In your first post, you remark that you are "concerned" that your exposure to 2nd had pot smoke could "destroy" everything you worked so hard to achieve.
I believe that if you should test positive or not, if it is in the confines of the "legal limit" or not, the risk could be that of police involvement, your car and/or person smelling of pot smoke and someone you work with questioning and perhaps reporting that, and what could end up being a real issue for you, and you do not partake yourself.
In your most recent post, you give a good argument for the legalizing of pot. However, at present, pot is not legalized, employers frown on this type of indulging, and again, you could be put in a situation where you are on the recieving end of the fall out from someone else's drug use.
You state that people drink on their time off. Well, that could be true, but if they are coming to work smelling of booze, then that could be an issue for them--and as you stated, it was for a co-worker who was let go. (and could argue that alcohol is LEGAL and they have RIGHTS.....you get where I am going with this....)
As an adult, that you play violent video games or don't go to church or that you listen to "bad music" (<----Van Halen??? REALLY???? Come on now.....LOL) doesn't alter your abilities to the extent that a drug or alcohol would. (unless you have your co-workers call you by your SIMS character name or believe yourself to be a knight or something......but that's a whole nuther story)
Bottom line is this. If you are concerned, it shouldn't matter the rest of the details. As an adult, if you enforce a no smoking in the car rule, then it is what it is and your friend/relative needs to not partake when he is in your car. A different take on this is that it sometimes doesn't matter if it is legal, not legal, if you could test positive, not positive....pot smoke smells gross to a number of people--it is a smell that often can't get out of your nose, your car, your clothes....much like cigarette smoke, and there's tons of threads on here that pretty much believe that cigarette smoking is the worst thing someone could do. So to say that the smell of pot is gross and you don't like it is a viable option. For some, trying to have conversation or hang out with someone who is stoned is irritating to say the least. That in your original post you allude to the fact that your friend/relative would tell you that you are somehow over-reacting if you would ask him not to smoke in the car, tells me that you are concerned that you will be seen as a "nerd" or "goody-goody" or it would somehow ruin your rep. This is, in just my opinion only, hogwash. You are gainfully employed in a position that requires certain standards. You are an adult with responsibilities. The least of your worries (again, just my opinion) shouldn't be if your relative/friend isn't gonna play with you anymore due to the way you choose to conduct your life that is right for you. We all like to think that our family and our friends always have our backs. Sometimes, that is not the case. That is a harsh thing to take in and deal with.
Best wishes to you in whatever you decide.
- Sep 28, '12 by Spidey's momQuote from JoryThanks - I was going to answer this as well but you did a good job and beat me to it.When drug testing first started during the 80's, people were losing their jobs, losing custody of their kids for "traces" of drugs found in their system. Drug testing was new and there were little to no guidelines on what constituted a "positive" result.
This is where the famous, "I ate a poppy-seed bagel and I failed my drug test" came from. Most people know this famous example. It really did happen.
After tons of lawsuits against drug-testing companies, the FDA came up with minimum guidelines of what would constitute a "positive" drug screen. For a lab to operate, you cannot report a test as positive unless they EXCEED the minimums guidelines. Some states have higher minimums, but not lower.
So for example, if you were around someone who smoked pot, you may show up for a trace amount, but an amount over X, is more likely than not, because of USE AND NOT random exposure.
Now, because of minimum guidelines, trace amounts no longer cause you to fail a drug test...ACTIVE USE causes you to fail a drug test.
- Sep 28, '12 by Spidey's momQuote from gypsyd8I'm in California and most school districts do drug testing on their athletes. All my adult kids had to do it. My 11 year old will too when he gets to high school.I posted the question in reply to someone before I went back and read the entire thread. In any case, how do we know that a particular employer uses the 50ng/ml cut-off? And why are they doing drug screenings in high schools? Minors cannot give informed consent, are the parents asked permission? Kids have a right to education regardless of what drugs they are using, not to mention a right to privacy. If I found out my daughters high school was making her pee in a cup in front of someone they would have a major lawsuit on their hands. She does not use drugs (no I am not in denial but I talk to my kid quite openly) but its not some bureaucrats business even if she did.
The one caveat I have is I wish all the coaches and teachers would step up and take the drug tests too.
- Sep 28, '12 by gypsyd8thank you. awesome info
- Sep 29, '12 by roreyn02[QUOTE=jadelpn;6959835]In your most recent post, you give a good argument for the legalizing of pot. However, at present, pot is not legalized, employers frown on this type of indulging, and again, you could be put in a situation where you are on the recieving end of the fall out from someone else's drug use.
You state that people drink on their time off. Well, that could be true, but if they are coming to work smelling of booze, then that could be an issue for them--and as you stated, it was for a co-worker who was let go. (and could argue that alcohol is LEGAL and they have RIGHTS.....you get where I am going with this....)QUOTE]
I completely understand that pot is not at present legal. Just venting. I think its so ridiculous that its illegal. I KNOW that alcohol is LEGAL and they have RIGHTS but what im trying to say is that if your all for pouring gallons of alcohol in your guts over the weekend you have no room to argue that people shouldnt be able to smoke a little bit of marijuana on their time off AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT COME INTO WORK AND DO IT, I MEAN MARIJUANA TOO I AM TOTALLY AGAINST PEOPLE GOING TO WORK HIGH!! So how many of these people who work so hard to keep pot illegal and ruin careers because someone smokes a little on their time off drink alcohol every once in awhile? How many of these judges, and these cops NEVER drink alcohol? Alcohol is a terrible drug for you much worse than marijuana. In moderation, both are harmless. So basically the law says you cant use marijuana in moderation, its illegal. The law doesnt care if you just smoke it on your time off they want to destroy your career. They dont care if you dont come into work high, if you smoke it AT ALL!! your job is gone. So basically what im saying here is like many other things in this country this prohibition of marijauna or really any drug at all is ridiculous. What do we do with people who are alcoholics? We dont put them in jail or black list them as long as they dont commit crimes WE GIVE THEM HELP!! WE INTERVENE!! WE DONT DESTROY THEIR WHOLE CAREERS OVER IT! At LEAST do THIS for the people who smoke. Dont ruin there whole ******* lives. If people have any kind of drug problem: meth, crack, heroine whatever they are not criminals they have a problem, a sickness. Instead of helping them out the law just pushes them further into their downward spiral.
- Sep 29, '12 by needshaldolI agree; coaches, teachers, all need to be tested if the kids are. I think they are testing the kids for steroids when it comes to sports most likely. Remember, testing cost money and hospitals are wanting to keep their money for their higher ups so random drug testing could most likely be for the ones whom they are expecting to test positive........or for the ones they want out so this is a good way to try to catch them. Just sayin