Lady of the Lake Accelerated ASN - page 2
Hi. I am very interested in the accelerated ASN program at Our Lady of the Lake in Baton Rouge. Can anyone give me any information on this program? I've seen the information that is available online. However, I am looking for... Read More
- 0May 6, '10 by bundi356I thought I would add my two cents. I have already applied and am working through all the gen ed pre-reqs. I've had to retake Chem since the last time I was in chem was the mid 80's for my BS in engineering.
As for the type of student, I guess I will be the old dude in one of their classes. 44. Did two year stint opening a new plant in Mexico so I'm not sure that 10 months would be too rough. My partner is a teach and I have applied for the Fall group in Baton Rouge, with a secondary selection of Materie. Does anyone know anything about Materie? I have also applied to Ivy Tech in Fort Wayne. The work one would pay for all of the expenses for the ASN program, so my decision falls into earnings vs. cost fo the 14-16 month diffential and the possibility of being away from my partner for so long. maybe we'll just have to invest in pcs and Iphone etc.
As for the prereqs I will be finishing my last 5 requecs on August 8th. I will have a total of 22 hours of class contact hours and 2 online courses. I think I figured about 6-7 hours per week for each of those so a total of about 30 hours of school per week. I think that load will tell me if I can do this amount of work or not.
As for the work load, not really sure where the other BS grads for the accelerated class came from. The engineering load at GMI/Kettering was on average 21 credit hours and some semester I had about 30+ contact per week which included all the darn labs that took 3-4 hours per week for 1 or no additional credit.
AJLast edit by bundi356 on May 6, '10 : Reason: needed to add another comment
- 0Jul 19, '10 by CathyMcDI just finished sending in my application for the Jan 2011 accelerated program and am not feeling great after reading all the posts. I still need that Religion 101 class and I don't live in Baton Rouge and cannot find one on line to take. Any suggestions? I am finishing Micro and Micro lab this fall. I am much older so am wondering now if I even have a chance. I am not worried about the hard work just whether they consider older people as candidates. I know they say they don't discriminate because of age but you never know for sure. Any suggestions on the Religion course? I have looked at the transfer equivalents and can't find an online alternative. Any help is appreciated.
- 0Jul 20, '10 by bundi356I would take a look at your local Comm College. My current religion class is on line and involves writing a two page report each week. It is an 8 week acccelerated course for the 2nd half of the year. I would defintely look there. I would also check out Ivy Tech Comm College. Their distance learning program is pretty extensive. My base is fort wayne but my two online classes have prof. in South Bend and in Marion.
- 0Jul 20, '10 by nolamommyCathy, I just finished my app for 2011 as well. I am currently taking Eng 2377, Bible as Lit, at UNO. I know several people who have taken an online course through LSU. I don't think it was the theology class, but a Bible as Lit class as well. Also, at DCC the transfer class is Eng 253 Bible as Lit...
- 0Jul 20, '10 by nolamommyno problem! if you have questions about what classes transfer etc, you should speak with (moderator edit of name - please convey this information privately) at the tulane office. she has all of the information about what classes transfer...Last edit by sirI on Jul 20, '10
- 0Jul 20, '10 by sirI, MSN, APRN, NP AdminGentle TOS reminder:
While it is important to be able to network, everyone should be mindful of the following:
- It is a small world - when we narrow it down to a state and throw in some personal info, there is actually a pretty good chance someone may recognize you if you are not careful. Your privacy is paramount to us.
- While this site is a wonderful place to vent (without excess personally identifiable details) it is not the place to express why ("x" specific person, place or program) is terrible. Gripe away, but since we cannot permit allegations to be made about named entities, your care in not naming them is very much appreciated.
- Please do not give out personal information about others. Do not name names where anyone could identify the person in any facility including your nursing programs.
- 0Jul 20, '10 by CathyMcDBundi356 can you tell me me what online class you are taking for the Religion 101 requirement? Thanks for the replies and I am looking locally but so far no luck - the only class I found is during the day and I work fulltime so can only do online or night classes. Hate to think this one class might keep me out (assuming I get accepted!)
- 0Aug 2, '10 by CathyMcDGot lucky and found a correspondence course from LSU that OLOL will accept in place of the religion class they offer. I have finished my app but I still need Micro which I am taking this fall - they said that is fine but I wonder how many actually get accepted that still have prereqs to do. Oh, well I will keep plugging along and get them done and if I don't get in Jan I will apply for the ones in the Spring.
Also I asked admissions about the 6 hours at OLOL required and they said that was only for the traditional and would not apply to those in the accelerated - hope this info is right!!