Wise to move from America to England?Register Today!
- by Baboosh123 Oct 22, '09Hello UK Nurses!
I am in my last year of Nursing school in America and am trying to decide what I should do once I graduate and get my license. I have met a very nice English fellow from Manchester at school this year and we are getting pretty serious. He is an exchange student and will be returning home in December. I am supposed to visit this summer and I am very excited because I have always wanted to go to England. I am even contemplating living there and start working as an RN. You see, I have always wanted to travel and I want to go anywhere and everywhere and I wouldn't mind living in another country for a while. (It doesn't have to be England, it's just pretty convenient since I know someone there now - I'm not exactly lovestruck or anything! ) I am so excited to start my life and I feel like this has the potential to be amazing! But, I have to be practical. So, what I really want to know is, how is the hiring situation for nurses right now? Is it booming like the way it is in America? (to the point where they welcome foreign nurses?) And what is a typical nurse's salary range in England if you have a BSN?
Thank you all so much!!
- Oct 22, '09 by Silverdragon102For a start you may find it hard to get a work permit as many hospitals will not assist in that due to requirements of employing UK, EU then rest of the world. If you have a lot of experience in the shortage occupation list you may find it easier. Be aware that the UK is also suffering from a high unemployment rate. Just to add it is currently very hard for a foreign nurse to get into the US and work with many waiting several years and still waiting
Some links to read and digest
Working in the UK
Job shortage occupation list for the UK
RCN Pay scale 2009-10 RN's generally start on band 5
- Nov 9, '09 by haggedy89I also have a question. I might be moving to the UK soon as well. Would I have to take an RN examination all over again? Is there a test even required to work as a nurse in the UK or is a bachelors enough? Here in the US after the bachelors you have to take the RN test. Anyone know? Thanks everyone!
- Nov 10, '09 by Silverdragon102You just need to meet the NMC requirements and pass English exam plus overseas course. Just read the NMC link it will explain everything you need to do
- Nov 10, '09 by haggedy89Hi thank you for the reply. How intense is the English exam? Does anyone have any websites I can refer to so I may view samples of the exam or anything? Thank you once again, I appreciate it!!
- Nov 10, '09 by Silverdragon102If you do a search there are many threads especially in the International forum on IELTS
- Jan 2, '10 by carmenmagda2003Why would you like to move in UK? The nurses are abused and very stressed in here, many times they live work in tears and the salary is just the same if you are a diploma nurse or a Bnurse. And that is the fabulous amount of 21,000 pounds per annum or about 1,200 pounds per month. Also, british don't like americans at all. Every time when I mention about going in America they are pulling their faces and say that the yankees are idiots.
- Jan 2, '10 by RetroPinoyIf salary isn't a consideration for the move, then I would say go for it. A lot of my Aussie colleagues have gone this route in their pursuit of travelling around Europe. I'm not sure if Brits in general hate the Americans,all I know is the younger generation seems to be embracing American culture more and more. There's also a saying that goes "When America sneezes, England catches a cold"
- Jan 2, '10 by RetroPinoyQuote from carmenmagda2003I bet they won't be pulling their faces if they find out how much nurses in the states are getting.Why would you like to move in UK? The nurses are abused and very stressed in here, many times they live work in tears and the salary is just the same if you are a diploma nurse or a Bnurse. And that is the fabulous amount of 21,000 pounds per annum or about 1,200 pounds per month. Also, british don't like americans at all. Every time when I mention about going in America they are pulling their faces and say that the yankees are idiots.