US Student to Study Nursing In UK

  1. I am interested in becoming a nurse and would like to study in the UK. I am a US citizen and will most likely end up working in the US. However, I would like to participate in the study abroad experience. How hard is it to transfer to US given that I am a citizen. Please describe any steps.
  2. Visit figojose profile page

    About figojose

    Joined: Aug '08; Posts: 2


  3. by   suzanne4
    Very difficult to even get accepted to a program there to attend school in the first place. They have special funding that covers some of the expenses for their nationals, you would not qualify for that.

    Then you need to be aware that the training there is considered specialist training and both the US and Canada require generalist; so you will have hours to make up more than likely.

    Study abroad programs are usually for a semester, not the entire program.

    Please take the time to do some reading on this site, much has been written on going to school overseas when your goal is to work back in the US.

    Also be aware that training out of the US will make you a foreign-trained nurse and subject to the added requirements for licensure. Immigration and licensure are two very different areas and are dealt with individually.
  4. by   suzanne4
    You also would not be permitted to work while you were in school; if you did get accepted and would need to prove that you have the funds for the full three years of tuition as well as living expenses.

    It is not going to be as easy as you think. They have waiting lists for their own citizens as well.
  5. by   Ginger's Mom
    My kids did a semester abroad, one in England and one in Austraila. Both were not able to work during their stay. While it was very enjoyable for both of them they could not take difficult courses. BSN programs are very intense and probably would require an extra semester.
  6. by   Fiona59
    I once looked into studying in the UK (I have citizenship there) and was told that because my education was foreign, I would be treated as an overseas student for tuitition purposes. The fees involved cancelled that plan. It was roughly four times as expensive as studying in North America.
  7. by   Silverdragon102
    You will be classed as an International student for the UK even if a citizen living outside the UK unless you have spent I think it is 3 years continual prior acceptance to school in the UK ave seen a few posts on another website I go on where UK citizens who have lived outside the UK have to pay full International fees for their children because they haven't been a residence in the UK for a few years. Fees are high and I think for the nursing training preference will always be given to a UKC