pls need some info.. re: board of nursing and compact licensure

  1. hello , i am from texas. i gave nclex last june. but then i failed!! now, i would like to choose new mexico board of nursing for nclex, as texas wants 2 yrs work experience for a foreign nurse. otherwise one has to do a refresher course and i dont want to do it .
    that is why i wanted to chose newmexico bon.
    pls let me know if new mexico bon requires any work experience?
    also , i m so confused by the following statement. what does this mean?

    Do not submit your application if you list a compact state as your primary residence. You must apply to take the examination in your primary state of residence if it is a compact state. The compact states are: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin Applications will be returned unprocessed if your state of residence is one of these states

    can i apply to new mexico bon, even if i have already chosen texas as my primary state of residence?

    pls give me some clarifacation.

    thank you so much
  2. Visit nepalusarn profile page

    About nepalusarn

    Joined: May '10; Posts: 81; Likes: 9


  3. by   caliotter3
    You can only have one primary state of residence at a time and it is the state where you actually reside and fulfill the requirements to meet that designation. If you want to get primary residence in New Mexico, then you must move to New Mexico and do those things that establish permanent resident status, such as registering to vote, getting a NM driver's license, paying NM taxes, buying real estate in NM, living in NM for one year, etc. If you have any questions about this process, inquire with the NM Board of Registered Nursing.
  4. by   nepalusarn
    thank u for the info. actually i want to get a permament license from new mexico and again be back to texas. i am a resident of united states but i completed my nursing education abroad.
  5. by   jtanga
    where u from?
  6. by   nepalusarn
    i m from nepal. where u from
  7. by   Silverdragon102
    Reading what you have put the state is requesting that because your primary resident state is Texas and that is part of the compact state then you have to apply to the state your permanent resident in which you indicate is Texas.

    If your plan is to apply to another state, meet requirements and then return back to primary state you may still be required to meet their requirements for International trained which may mean they still require 2 years experience. This is something you need to discuss with your state

    Moved to the International forum because you are talking about applying for license and you are a International trained nurse. Remember NCLEX is just a part of that process