I am a foreign Nurse not yet US-licensed, living in NY as a Permanent Resident. For as long as I've been here I have not been able to get a job or come up with the money for the licensing process, but being that my daughter is about to start school and my husband now has a different schedule I can take on a PT job to finance it without having to worry about childcare eating up my entire paycheck or even more.
I have received an offer from an Agency to sponsor the licensing fees in exchange for a 2 year contract.
Some of the conditions are
- employment start date 30 days after valid license received
- $30/h, $32/h after one year (oral agreement, not listed in the contract)
- minimum of 35h/week, waived for the first 3 or 6 months to secure appropriate childcare (oral agreement, not listed in the contract)
- assignment in nearest University Hospital, department not specified (oral agreement, not listed in the contract)
- The Benefits look good as far as I can tell, they include Cigna Healthcare and Pharmacy, Delta Dental, Spectera Vision Plan, First Reliance Short and Long Term Disability as well as Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Flexible spending accounts, Group homeowner's, Auto, Voluntary Pet Insurance and MetLife Banking.
These are just the subjects I am able to process and fully understand as my bureaucratic(?) English is not very good.
I am worried that I might sell myself short or end up having to work somewhere where I'm not liked or mobbed or anything else that might make me uncomfortable and I have no choice but to do the job b/c they put me there and tell me to.
I just would like to hear some opinions, pro or con, and maybe some experiences. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the entire contract or forward it via email, but if you need more info or details let me know.
Oct 7, '05
Thank you Suzanne, I will send you a copy. I sure am glad I posted this, it just didn't feel right. My husband keeps telling I basically had to kiss up to get this contract and keep on it b/c I want something from him.
No I haven't signed it yet, I read it over and over and wasn't gonna sign it unless I completely understand everything.
He did specify which Hospital, it just wasn't mentioned in the contract and neither was the department.
I was thinking the same thing, the 2 year contract is, so I've heard, pretty much standard for sponsoring the entire Imigration and licensing process, which is a lot more money than the license only.
The whole thing seemed a little fishy anyway. First of all he called me b/c he saw my resume on monster.com but asked me for my phone #, address and email address, which is all listed in the resume. Then he was supposed to send me an email with the contract a few days after our phone conversation but didn't. When I called him he asked me to send him anemail with specifics, I listed our phone conversation and my status, but figured details of his offer were his job and not mine. All in all it took him weeks to get back to me, he claimed to have been out of the country or out of town, not in his office....and kept promising to send the contract again and again. When he finally did, he claimed to have sent it to the wrong email address.
Last edit by shot_z on Oct 7, '05