1st year AU nursing student, need guidance for working in the UK after graduating

  1. Hi Everyone,

    I am currently in my first year of my university degree and my plan is to move to and work in the UK in 2013 after I graduate in 2012.

    A visa hopefully will not be a problem as my wife has UK ancestry and is a qualified teacher.

    If there is any information or advice that anyone could share with me I'd be most greatful.
  2. Visit Metal Health profile page

    About Metal Health

    Joined: Nov '10; Posts: 8; Likes: 1


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    Nothing can really be sorted until you have completed your training and have met NMC requirements for International trained nurse. A full set of transcripts and a license plus 12 months experience is currently required for UK NMC requirements
  4. by   Metal Health
    Bugger 12 months :-(

    Do you think that I would be eligible for post graduate study? I'm desperate to get out of Australia as soon as possible.
  5. by   Silverdragon102
    Most post grad study is part time and still working with many seconded from their place of work (well used to be when I was living and working there)

    Post grad study if nursing may require you to be licensed in the UK and also may cost you more as International fees will apply. For you to get UK fees generally you are expected to have been a UK resident for 3 years
  6. by   Metal Health
    Cheers for the info.

    It is a little disappointing for me that I may have to wait a little longer to escape the colony :-P

    I may work out in the sticks and earn some extra cash then *shudders*
  7. by   Silverdragon102
    gaining experience will work out better for you. The UK is very expensive and nurse pay starts about 22000 and if looking at buying a house even with joint income doesn't always go far depending on where in the UK you are planning on living
  8. by   Metal Health
    Cheers :-)
  9. by   XB9S
    Metal Health, if you take a look here, there are links to what you'd need to know

    The Nursing and Midwifery Council: Safeguarding health and wellbeing | Nursing and Midwifery Council

    search for overseas nurses and look at the requirements.
  10. by   Metal Health
    Thank you

    I'm doing a little more research into full time post graduate study options, It's expensive, but hopefully gets me to the UK sooner
  11. by   clothmama
    Quote from Metal Health
    Thank you

    I'm doing a little more research into full time post graduate study options, It's expensive, but hopefully gets me to the UK sooner
    How are you getting on with this - did you find anything further out? i'm in a very very similar position except I'm finished in less than a year!
  12. by   Metal Health
    Well with the current scumbag conservative government in control of the UK parliament and raising fees the "wait 'till I have experience" option is my only option :-(

    I'll work in some backwater hole in NSW and earn some cash in my newgrad year to get the hell out of Australia.
  13. by   ceridwyn
    The wonderful thing about overseas travel is that it is a great educator..........

    Hope the Uk is everthing you hope it will be..

    wish you goodluck with your nursing education,

    colonial, from a backwater

    ps. Have heard from good authority, that the UK government that you are very fond of, is actually hoping in the next 6 months to stop heritage visa's from second generation colonials, hope your wife is first generation, like me!!!! Though teachers are in short supply there. (wonder why?) Nurses apparently, No, teaching therefore maybe a more lucrative alternative to nursing.

    They prefer EU citzs.
    Last edit by ceridwyn on Dec 16, '10
  14. by   Metal Health
    My father in law has a British birth certificate so that should help.

    Yeah, I was expecting the conservatives to do everything in their power to keep the foreigners out. Scumbags.