Top 3 admitting terminal dxRegister Today!
- by NC29mom Apr 9Just curious....what are your top 3 admitting hospice terminal diagnoses? I will start. ..
3. ES Dementia/Alzheimers or COPD. (both generally run close in numbers)
I can remember, not too long ago, when cancer was a diagnosis we only used a few times a month. Now, we admit 1-3 cancer patients a week ......
Thanks in advance
- Apr 9 by Lil'mamaLots of cancer and respiratory failure.
- Apr 10 by NC29momWe are only allowed to use debility if the patient doesn't fit criteria for any other dx, and has life expectancy of <3 wks. So, i think in 3y weve had one debility admit. Our cmpy really frowns upon that particular dx, saying it's a red flag for Medicare.
Our average stay of care is probably 6months. After a year on services, we generally discharge unless seriously declining. One thing I can say, our patients are definitely appropriate for services, not even a few are borderline. ....
Maybe the increase in cancer diagnoses has something to do with our region....dont know.....but huge increase in cancer admits. And, the patients are getting much, much younger. Its not unusual to admit someone in their 30's.
- Apr 14 by Daisy_0899% cancer.
the odd aids, CHF, failure to thrive. Once had a young lady who fell...that was sad, sever brain injury, living will that said no tubes so they sent her to us.
- May 19 by Nurse_DianeCA, COPD, CHF. Not too many AFTT or Debility dx.
- May 29 by KabinIn 2011 per NHPCO:
Heart Dz 11%
Lung Dz 9%
- Jun 1 by SuesquatchRNCMS has now disallowed AFTT and debility.
A lot of people admitted to hospice these days, while dying, don't need palliative care. It's become another moneymaker. None of my AFTT people have pain or distress unless they have a wicked decub.
- Jun 2 by NC29momI find it EXTREMELY interesting to hear you say "CMS has now disallowed AFTT and debility" .
Could you please reference your comment?
Hospice is not just for pain, or pain related diagnosises. A lot of our philosophy of care deals with emotional/ spiritual support, education r/t dz progression, prognosis, and other symptom management (QUALITY of life).
- Jun 2 by tewdlesI have not heard of that dis-allowance...