Camp lejuene new grad first duty stationRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Camp lejuene new grad first duty station in Government / Military Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... Hello everyone. I am a new grad nurse recently graduating from ODU nursing program. I was in the...by njack017 Jul 5, '12Hello everyone. I am a new grad nurse recently graduating from ODU nursing program. I was in the navy NCP program and my first duty station will be camp lejuene. I was just hoping someone would have some information about the base, the people, the hospital, etc. I no its a small facility but if anyone has ever worked there and has info to share it would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=753423©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,468 Views
- Quote from njack017Hello everyone. I am a new grad nurse recently graduating from ODU nursing program. I was in the navy NCP program and my first duty station will be camp lejuene. I was just hoping someone would have some information about the base, the people, the hospital, etc. I no its a small facility but if anyone has ever worked there and has info to share it would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!!
Greetings. I've been Nurse Corps reserve for 16 years and I spent a year at NH Lejeune after being recalled to active duty back in 07-08. One of my many mobilizations in recently. It was a great year. I loved Lejeune and the surrounding area. The hospital is smaller compared to others but to me that's a good thing. Navy medical there is a very tight nit community.
The base itself has easy access and exit. Which is a nice thing. Some bases can take 30 minutes just to get through the gate. I rented a condo for a year on Emerald Isle and my wife and daughter came down to visit for the summer. They loved Emerald Isle. You may want to consider looking into that depending on prices these days and your housing allowance. Just look in the classifieds. It's about 20 minutes from the main gate.
I've spent time at most naval hospitals both INCONUS and out and if I had my choice I'd pick Lejeune over all of them. The areas surrounding the base are all nice and you won't find your typical row upon row of strip joints and tattoo parlors like you'd find outside the gate at other bases.
To sum it up I'd say you're going to love Lejeune. The active duty staff members I became close friends with had all been there for multiple tours. I know of no one who wanted to finish their tour so they could move on. I tried to re-up for a second year however the reserve side said no, they only needed me for one year.
Best of luck, and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
- Jul 6, '12 by njack017Well that is good to hear and quite a relief. Honestly my biggest concern was the comradery amongst the staff but it is good to know that it seems that it's positive. I've heard the base is very nice, I will look into emerald isle but have you heard of arlington west apartment?
- I don't know the housing situation in that area too well. I arranged for a condo before I got down there so I never looked into any apartments. They should have given you the name of someone at the command who will kind of be your guide since you're new there. Can't remember what they call it. Preceptor comes to mind but I don't think that's the right term. Your guide or mentor or whatever the term is should be able to help you find a place. He/she should already know the area well and have input on good areas to live and apartments, condos, etc.
If you do consider emerald isle don't go by what you may see on the internet. Owners usually work through an agent and they list price by week for tourists. Tell whomever that you're us navy and you're looking for long term. Example: the condo I rented was listed at 900/week. I got it for a whole year for 1200/month. Owners there love us military and especially love long term contracts since over the winter their places sit vacant.
Here's a good place to start if your looking to compare apartments to the condos on Emerald Isle:
Spinnakers Reach Long Term Rentals
And as fate would have it, on the website you'll see Unit 11 Osprey Ridge as available. Unit 11 was the condo I rented.
- Jul 7, '12 by jeckrnOn thing the Camp Lejueune has which you need to take advantage of is Onslow Beach. It is one of the best kept secrets on the east coast. It is a wonderful beach. If you have family coming down to visit you can rent a place on the beach for next to nothing. Last time I was there, 3 years ago it cost just over $200 for a bunglo overlooking the beach for a week. Yes a week not a night. The summer months book up fast but since you are stationed there you have 2 weeks before it opens up to everyone. I loved my time there when I was mobilized back in '02 when I was a HM assigned to a infantry unit.
- Jul 7, '12 by njack017Thank you I will definently keep that in mind. How far is it from base
- Jul 7, '12 by jeckrnIt is part of the base and about 7 miles from the main area. That is one thing that makes the beach nice. Even durning the summer it is not crowded. If you walk to the end after a storm you will find some of the best seashells.
- Jul 7, '12 by njack017Okay that sounds good... Are the ppl on base or in that area rather friendly?
- Jul 11, '12 by Alex8291Hello! I'm also a NCP grad and just spoke with LC Gomez this morning...I'm officially going to ODS on September 9th and then onto Camp Lejeune! It's so nice to read such positive things about the base!