I finally fell prey to the LTC politicos after a year and a half..... - page 2
And am currently looking for a new job. Just a little background I work in a 75 bed LTC as an RN (it was the only job I could find right out of school) worked there for about a year and a half. Haven't had any issues other than... Read More
- 5Oct 5, '12 by AlibabaQuote from FLArnYes..you are not supposed to make any copies. But as demonstrated by OP's predicament, lack of a triplicate paper trail has a way of coming back to bite you on the caboose. Most original incident reports I have seen have a carbon copy. (Facilities get too cheap to keep buying originals so we just write on copies therefore ensuring no 2nd copy)FYI: Most places have printed on the occurance form that the form is NOT to be copied. Do NOT indicate to ANYONE that you made a copy of the form for yourself as the copies would be "discoverable" if the family/ resident should sue over this incident. Not sure but copying the form might also get you into trouble for violating facility policies. This type of situation is truly a "no win" for the nurse involved.
What I have done before when I knew or felt something may come back to bite me, I write the original report that goes to the DON, make copies for the ADON, Administrator and quality control. While I do not keep a copy for my self, it is really hard and takes a lot of planning and agreeing between lots of people for 4 copies of a report to disappear.
The way I figure it, by the time all these folks go to stand up on monday morning, they all have the report and are aware of what happened without one person twisting the event to suit their CYA needs.
And also, no privacy violation here.
- 4Oct 5, '12 by HippyDippyLPNthat really sucks, I am so sorry. This happens all the time in LTC which is why I got out. Its great skill to do things to cover your butt but its another to have to be paranoid all the time that someone might sabotage you. ugh LTC needs a serious over haul.
- 5Oct 5, '12 by lindarnAMEN!!!
Forget about worrying about HIPPA! My mantra has been for years, make copies of ALL incident reports, and keep a home file for them. You DO not have to tell anyone what you did- just keep it as your little secret, until, or when, you need to to cover your but.
JMHO and my NY $0.02.
Somewhere in the PACNW
- 3Oct 5, '12 by libbyliberalwhen you see that the ethics (ethos) of your employer conflicts with your own, it's time to get out gracefully. Always be rehirable. stay on per diem even if you have no intention of setting foot in their dangerous sentinel event a month understaffed medicare defrauding facility ever again.
- 2Oct 6, '12 by IdianaCNA1993show the aide and the next shift nurse and posibly another nurse that is on your shift that you worte the reports have them walk with you to turn them in so then you can have people to back you up if you cant make a copy... or hand them in personally... or even write your self a note saying you turned it in and have your manager sign it if you can so then they cant say they dont remember.Last edit by IdianaCNA1993 on Oct 6, '12 : Reason: spelling
- 2Oct 10, '12 by KRudd2009It amazes me that this even happens at all and all these "mission Statements" at these places I say REALLY!!! They preach integrity and honesty and the management are the biggest liars cheats and down right pathetic losers of all!!! They would throw their own mothers under the bus to save their own hide! I have seen them fire CNAs for say its not my pt or write a nurse up because she said I am busy right now....This does not surprise me I am sorry it happened to you! One would think the DOCUMENTATION would back the nurse IF you did NOTHING about this then WHY were the interventions in place and the charting done and everyone who needed notified done and no report! I say BS the DON knows there is NO way possible that you followed protocol to the letter and then "forgot" to write a report! REALLY!!! Your DON and Unit Mang are both in the class of MORON!!!! I was a Unit Mang I resigned because I seem first hand how they are and the Unjust they did to employees!! For all the DON and UM out their you need to remember without your NURSES you will be back on the med cart yourself!! if in fact you have EVER done it at all! Praying for you girl and yes get out of their God forbide something big happen!