Georgia Perimeter College - page 4
by nursinginga | 54,928 Views | 78 Comments
I am a 1st year nursing student at GPC and am having a very difficult time right now with my decision for coming to this school. The program is very unorganized. Here is a list of the problems I have found so far: 1. There are... Read More
- 0Dec 16, '06 by abmsamQuote from dmarie (GA)I beg to differ! There are two instructors that care, but the rest are just as bad as Clarkston's. You're pretty much on your own.. The teachers at L'ville actually prepare you for the exams and give you a head's up on what to focus on with your studies.
Congrats on passing the first semester! I also ended up with 79.76, which earned me a C that first semester. One additional correct answer on any one test would have gotten me a B.
- 0Dec 16, '06 by dmarie (GA)abmsam, I'll take you're word for it regarding L'ville instructors. When I was at Clarkston, however, the rumor going around was that L'ville instructors actually covered exam material during lectures, whereas C'ston often didn't. It was also rumored that more L'ville students made it through the program than C'ston, but I guess ultimately it comes down to individual experience. :spin:
- 0Jan 23, '07 by zazenchicI am so relieved after seeing this post! I started all my prenursing at GPC but with how rude the nursing staff to prenurse applicants, I decided to try Georgia Highlands in Rome. Yes it's a drive but its only 45-1hr from Marietta no traffic! Anyways they cator their program to help students suceed in understanding nursing! You get a personal nursing teach mentor who you can go to any day and cry,discuss strategies, and get support! The test are hard many people had to drop but they try so hard to cater to educating the students its amazing!!! THeir student success rate on the NCLEX is 99% from my understanding.
If you have any questions email me through my profile page or send me a private message (PM).Last edit by VickyRN on Jan 23, '07 : Reason: Personal email addy deleted for poster's privacy and protection and per our TOS
- 0Apr 9, '07 by nursingingaWell....Update time...from the one that originally started this post.
Things at GPC are slowing making a change for the better. We have had several talks with professionals and they have listened to us (the students) about issues that we see as being problems with the program. Our class has actually kept most of the students thus far. We have 50 left out of I think 74, and we also have many students at the Lawrenceville campus left too. The new class of Fundamentals is doing very well also. There have been changes made all around, but as most can see, it does take time.
I am very glad that the instructors (most of them) are listening to our concerns and I hope that it continues this way.
I have come to realize that most all nursing programs are tough and you must give 200% dedication to pass and although there are many things that we can groan about, there are many things we can be thankful for (like being able to get a job right out of nursing school and having lots of clinical experience by graduation).
I am now averaging a B in Med/Surg, but it hasn't been easy. I do hope that everyone that looks at this willtalk with other students (as many as possible) and learn from different aspects of the program and decide . Weigh your options (good vs bad).
Good luck to each and every one of you and I hope and pray for you all to succeed and help to stomp out this nursing shortage.
- 0Apr 10, '07 by harrisrn2bWell I applied the GPC and was accepted but now come to find out, the school of nursing will not consider me b/c I was a previously went to school in N.C. and rec. a "D" in one of my nursing classes (which by the way are not transferable anyway). But b/c of that the program will not look at me at all. I am thinking of going now for dental hyg. but before i say NO to my life long dream I am trying macon state and gordan college.
- 0Apr 10, '07 by momgrad5/07Quote from harrisrn:uhoh21: OMG that sucks. Was this for Fall 07? Did you just get your letter? Why is it that they already didn't know about the nursing class before they admitted you?Well I applied the GPC and was accepted but now come to find out, the school of nursing will not consider me b/c I was a previously went to school in N.C. and rec. a "D" in one of my nursing classes (which by the way are not transferable anyway). But b/c of that the program will not look at me at all. I am thinking of going now for dental hyg. but before i say NO to my life long dream I am trying macon state and gordan college.
If this is your dream, do all that you can do to achieve it.
Good luck to you!
- 0Apr 15, '07 by ks33Dmarie?? I know this was an old question, however I am new to Atlanta and I am trying to find a nursing school. you mentioned you took the LPN course with no wait. can you advise which school you took it? I applied at Atlanta tech and I am on the wait list for 08. I also applied at Dekalb tech. are there any others that you or anyone knows about.
Also where are the other lpn to rn bridge programs because i had planned on going to georgia perimeter but after reading all the post i dare not. I thought that was the only adn program in atlanta.