What determines the size of a woman's areola? - page 2
by Mesomorph | 133,717 Views | 21 Comments
Not to sound weird, but I'm truly curious. I was at the nurse midwife's clinic the other day and after seeing the woman's breasts the question just hit me. Here areola were like 3-inches in diameter. She wasn't particularly... Read More
- 0Mar 24, '07 by MesomorphQuote from Bonny619I meant connections between size and race or size and weight, but I suppose from what everyone's said in here, there really is no common thread. That's what I was looking for: a common thread.Perspectives on what?
They are all different shapes, sizes and colors. That's it, really.
- 0Mar 25, '07 by MesomorphI found a very fascinating site you all might be want to see. I learned some interesting things based on what the women there wrote. Areolar changes tend to be normal with pregnancy-related developments, and breast-sag is normal for those that 1) have large breasts or 2) that have gained and lost a significant amount of weight.
Very interesting! Might help those of you feeling self-conscious about your breasts: http://www.007b.com/breast_gallery.phpLast edit by Mesomorph on Mar 25, '07
- 0Mar 25, '07 by Marie_LPN, RNQuote from kangaroo621mesomorph --
I think you were asking a reasonable question based on curiosity... I think asking while at clinical may have been strange, but here?? why not?
come on girls, he's a MAN... this is not something he's entirely used to.
Give him a break! he's just asking a question!
Hope your clinicals go well,
It does matter how the question is asked no matter the subject. "A little on the fat side" is rarely well-received.:wink2:
- 0Mar 25, '07 by KellNYKangaroo--Um, no one attacked him or anything like that. We've all answered his question and told him we didn't think he was a perve or abnormal. So, where's the problem?
Meso-As far as race-darker people will *tend* to have darker areolas, but usually proportionate. Not always the rule (cuz I've seen some women with skin whiter than mine--and that says a lot!--with areolas the color of a hershey's bar). But if you're looking for a common thread, that may be it, really. Never seen a trend in SIZE of areolas based on race/skin color....
- 0Mar 25, '07 by SteveNNPI laughed out loud when I saw the title of this thread pop up on my screen....I know you were asking a legit question, but I just found it amusing. From one guy to another... God Bless.... you'll see a lot worse than "HUGE" areolas. Wait until you are in your OB/PP clinicals and have to help a woman breastfeed her baby. There's something about watching a kid latch on to a swollen boob that makes me cringe.... I have to do it every once in a while in NICU. It's something you do seriously at work, and laugh about when you get home.....
- 0Mar 26, '07 by queenjeanMesmorph wrote:
"I swear guys, I will have the most screwed up sex life ever when I'm married haha. I have been so wronged in so many ways by nursing school!"
I'm probably going to get banned or reprimanded for this, but this comment made me think of a recent situation.....
I was admitting a guy whose ER diagnosis was leg pain. Long time diabetic with some amputation, and lots of neuropathy. Frequent flier, so to speak. So I'm asking him if he's having any pain, and he says yes, and when I say, "Is it in your leg?" he replies, "No, my penis." At first I think he's putting me on and just being a perv; but something about how he said it made me pause, and so I say, "Alright, let me take a look."
It was the most awful, painful thing I had ever seen. He had developed some irritation on the glans, and had been putting a cream on it. He can't see well, though, so it was many, many days before his wife informs him that he is putting some sort of cleaner (as in, household cleaner) on it. Apparently their next door neighbor was selling some sort of cleaning products, and gave them samples that came in small tubes.
The end of this poor man's penis was beyond belief, there was all this horrible, gray-green, well, stuff. It was difficult to tell what was tissue and what was drainage. As I'm cleaning and inspecting, besides feeling very, very sorry for this guy, I'm also thinking, My poor husband, our sex life isn't going to be the same for a while.
- 0Mar 26, '07 by firstyearstudentYou are a youngster, aren't you Mesomorph! One day, if you're lucky, the woman you love will feel secure enough to turn to you and say, "Does this look bad?" and show you something on her body you probably never wanted to see (hemmorrhoids, an oozing wound, etc.). And you will comfort her with a peck on the lips!
Last week I woke up wondering who in the heck was that chubby, flatulent bald guy in my bed.