Rolling backpacks for nursing school - any recommendations?Register Today!
- by sheridan3456 Jan 12, '07Hi folks,
I'm finishing up this semester with Microbiology and already feel the need for a nice, durable rolling backpack (something to carry me through nursing school too). I like the ones on "e-Bags.com" but I'm not sure which one I should get. I know I need one with alot of space and I'd like one with plenty of room or pockets for other things such as keys, snacks, etc. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!Last edit by sheridan3456 on Jan 14, '07
- 10,207 Views
- Jan 12, '07 by Freedom42I found a great one at Wal-Mart for less than $23. It's sturdy, rolls well and is as well-built as anything I found for two to three times that price. Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand name, and it's not with me at the moment. But I mention it because I was surprised to find something that good at Wal-Mart. It was better than anything I saw at Office Max and Staples and comparable to what's offered by L.L. Bean.
- Jan 12, '07 by caliotter3I went through more than one backpack, bought cheap ones I found on sale at outlet stores or places like walmart. My best one was made out of vinyl. Kept my books and goodies well protected from the elements. Sorry to have to replace it. Also had an LL Bean one that disappeared (even though I had my initials embroidered on it). That's when I started buying the cheap ones. Now I use backpacks for home hlth nrsg, still buy cheap ones on sale whenever I need a new one. Just got my first rolling wheel one.
- Jan 12, '07 by missninaRNI paid over $60 for my Jansport and it was worth every penny. The wheels are much thicker and it's just a lot sturdier than the cheap ones some of my classmates got at Walmart. It rolls smoothly over all kinds of terrain and can accommodate a big stack of books. And it has a lifetime warranty-if it falls apart during normal use, Jansport will fix or replace it for free.
- Jan 12, '07 by WDWpixieRNI bought the Samsonite they sell at Sam's Club (I think they still carry it)....I'm not in LOVE with it...it's difficult to get the thick texts in and out of and only holds one in each of the 2 main zippered compartments (looks like we've got at least 2 for this second semester)....in the other compartment I can manipulate in both of my notebooks for lecture and lab, but not easily. I would not be able to carry both texts and all my notebooks if needed this semester.
It rolls a bit rough, and I really hate wrestling my books in and out. Otherwise, it does what it's supposed to....I won't mind replacing it eventually however!!
- Jan 12, '07 by lovingtheunlovedGolly, steer clear of Staples! I paid $40 for mine that lasted one week. By the end of said week, the bottom had a hole in it from dragging on the ground, the wheels kind of turned outward, both zippers broke THE FIRST DAY! So I went back to um, Staples, and paid $20 for a big ol' rolling box. Better. Not great though. <sighs>
- Jan 12, '07 by Lovely_RNI bought a Jansport and I really like it. It was a bit expensive but it's very sturdy and there is a life time warranty on the bag. So if something happens to it I can send it back and it will be replaced or fixed by the company for free. I think that will save me money in the end instead of having to replace a cheaper bag every year.
- Jan 14, '07 by StudentNurseAbbyI got a ful brand one from ebags.com and it's amazing! Good price too.
- Jan 14, '07 by hospitalstaphI highly recommend LL Bean. I bought mine last year and it is still in excellent shape! I have noticed that many of my fellow students that bought cheap ones have needed to replace theirs due to broken zippers or wheels. I bought mine in a girly color so one of the kids can use it when I am done.
- Jan 14, '07 by spoiled_lil_sisterMy experience is that you get what you pay for. I just bought my 2nd Jansport - not because something happened to my original one (it's still in tip-top shape & is as clean as a whistle after 2 semesters), but I go to micro at one school on Tues & Thurs then go to basic nursing skills at a different school on Wed. I got different colors so I can grab what I need that day - each has its own set of supplies since I need different things for each class. I spent the extra money for convenience. I will be working full-time, so it will be easier just to grab that day's backpack & go without forgetting something. I decided on a second Jansport rolling backpack because they were $56 at my school bookstore. The regular backpacks ranged from $40-60. I figured that I can earn more money in my life, but I only get one spine. I'm hoping that these 2 backpacks will last me through all of nursing school & from what I've seen of my first one's performance, they will not disappoint me! Hope this helps, best wishes!