she's a medical student in russia? doctors, your acquaintance must not know, study intensely difficult subjects like anatomy and physiology on a level much more advanced than we nurses get, physical examination techniques, human biochemistry, human neuroanatomy, differential diagnosis, and they delve deeply into the pathophysiology of diseases. if we had to know 60% of what doctors know, then why do doctors need 4 years of classroom work and another 3 years of clinicals (7 years total) and we most of us can get our rn licenses in 2 year programs? not bad for learning (according to her) nursing + 60% of what the docs learn. what are doctors learning in those 2 years of classroom + 3 years of full time clinical practice after we've graduated gotten our licenses and are working as rns? the other 40% she "thinks" they still need to learn? she's got it all wrong, wrong, wrong.
i came out of an earlier era of nursing when a lot of doctors used intimidation tactics to get one-upmanship over nurses. i would expect someone such as a medical student trying to impress you with their newly learned medical knowledge to fire off all kinds of medical learning at you in order to talk down to you. i think its usual that this person would give a nursing student a mouthful about what a nursing student learns rather what she is learning
in medical school. that would indicate to me that (1) she probably knows a lot about nursing (2) that she may not really be in medical school at all because in her whole conversation and her saying "become a doctor like what i do!" she never really mentions what she knows or does as a doctor, does she? and (3) they must treat rns in russia like crap.
i would have asked her what else she's learned in medical school beside what she spouted off to you! if what she is learning is what nurses do, that's not medicine! i have two relatives that went through u.s. medical schools
and they didn't learn much about nursing school
! nursing and medicine aren't comparable. first of all, in nursing school we learn a few things about the most commonly seen medical diseases not all of the medical diseases.
we learn what the doctors do to commonly diagnose and treat
those diseases, but not everything about them. one reason is so we can recognize abnormal dosages or weird and out of place treatments that a doctor might order so we can question them and not accidentally assist some goofball doctor in performing malpractice, not to know what doctors know or to even come close to 60% of what doctors know!
nurses are not just doing clean up and dirty jobs. when ever i did a clean up i was also using my assessment skills to make observations about the patients. we are managers of patient care and problem solvers. that is why we learn the nursing process. we learn basic nursing care in the first semester of our nursing programs
. the remainder of the coursework is how to manage the care of patients and solve problems that arise. that is what our value is as rns. that makes us highly regarded in the working community because we are able to think and make decisions. maybe the nurses in russia aren't required to do that so they are seen as little more than butt wipers, but we are more. if american rns ever leave this profession they can easily make the transition into other professions as supervisors and managers because of this training we have in problem solving using the nursing process. american rns, amanda loo, are highly skilled and admired the world over for our thinking skills, not necessarily our technical skills, although we can perform some pretty awesome stuff. tell "s" to match her russian nurses against that!
yes, i should've just opened my mouth and fired her.
why should you have fired her?