Getting anxiety!!

  1. Hello everyone. I am getting ready to start my first semester in January. After going to orientation and hearing that ns is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done, and reading posts on hear about how much people have to study I am starting to get some real anxiety over starting school. I am starting to doubt if I can do this...if any one has any words of encouragement I would greatly appreciate it. I have always wanted to be a nurse and really want to succeed.
    •  
  2. 20 Comments

  3. by   carol72
    Hi Chantilly. You got through the pre-requs, doesn't this count for anything? From what I understand if everyone enters the program knowing it will be lots of work then most are prepared. Which program will you attend?
  4. by   Mudwoman
    Over 40,000 applied to nursing school last year and didn't get in. You got in, so you must be smarter than the average bear. You eat an elephant one bite at a time. Don't get anxious, just take it a day at a time. 95% of all that you worry about never comes to pass. The other 5%, you have no control over anyway, so you waste a lot of energy that could be spent somewhere else.
  5. by   Chantilly
    Quote from kitten79
    Hi Chantilly. You got through the pre-requs, doesn't this count for anything? From what I understand if everyone enters the program knowing it will be lots of work then most are prepared. Which program will you attend?
    I will be in an ADN program at my local cc. Thanks for your reply...I'm starting to feel better already
  6. by   Chantilly
    Quote from Mudwoman
    Over 40,000 applied to nursing school last year and didn't get in. You got in, so you must be smarter than the average bear. You eat an elephant one bite at a time. Don't get anxious, just take it a day at a time. 95% of all that you worry about never comes to pass. The other 5%, you have no control over anyway, so you waste a lot of energy that could be spent somewhere else.
    I do worry too much and in the end wind up doing fine...my husband keeps telling me that I have nothing to be nervous about, but sometimes you just have to hear these things from outside people. Thank you for your encouraging words
  7. by   81ke83
    I am just finishing my first semester at Ventura College. Think of it as a new culture and a new language. We didn't think we would get through it and here we are, one semester down and 3 to go. My school is big on care plans, I spend alot of time preparing them. You can do it, just don't get behind. I suggest investing in a good digital recorder and taping the lectures, it is really helpful to listen them as there are things you pick up on Good luck
    Kay
  8. by   Chantilly
    Quote from 81ke83
    I am just finishing my first semester at Ventura College. Think of it as a new culture and a new language. We didn't think we would get through it and here we are, one semester down and 3 to go. My school is big on care plans, I spend alot of time preparing them. You can do it, just don't get behind. I suggest investing in a good digital recorder and taping the lectures, it is really helpful to listen them as there are things you pick up on Good luck
    Kay
    Thanks for the advice. Good luck to you next semster!!
  9. by   Daytonite
    Well, one way of thinking that I have always tried to keep in my thoughts is this. . .if thousands and thousands of others were able to go through nursing school successfully, then what's so different about me that I can't do the same? I got to thinking that what was so incredibly odd about me that I couldn't do it. So, think on that for a bit before developing all the anxiety about the books, uniforms and studying involved. Others managed to get through it all. Why can't you?
  10. by   arciedee
    Quote from Daytonite
    Well, one way of thinking that I have always tried to keep in my thoughts is this. . .if thousands and thousands of others were able to go through nursing school successfully, then what's so different about me that I can't do the same? I got to thinking that what was so incredibly odd about me that I couldn't do it. So, think on that for a bit before developing all the anxiety about the books, uniforms and studying involved. Others managed to get through it all. Why can't you?
    Thanks for posting this, Daytonite! That's pretty much what I keep saying when I feel myself getting overwhelmed. Though the closer school gets (one month!) the more nervous I get, but I trust in my abilities and the school's belief that I've got what it takes to succeed in their program.
  11. by   azrn08
    Chantilly,
    Just remember you are not the only one going through this. If I can make a career change after 20 years of being out of school I'm sure you will do fine. I start in January also Wee Hee
  12. by   amyk_ncsu
    Quote from Chantilly
    Hello everyone. I am getting ready to start my first semester in January. After going to orientation and hearing that ns is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done, and reading posts on hear about how much people have to study I am starting to get some real anxiety over starting school. I am starting to doubt if I can do this...if any one has any words of encouragement I would greatly appreciate it. I have always wanted to be a nurse and really want to succeed.
    I feel the exact same way!!! I am going to give it my best shot, but I worry like crazy where I'll be if I dont succeed.
  13. by   cdelacruz71
    I've just completed my third semester and will start 4th in Jan. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was starting my 1st semester. All I have to say is that it is hard, but stick with it. The first semester is always the hardest because you are learning all of the basic skills you will need. You will continue to develop those skills throughout the program and learn new skills as you go. Keep up on your reading. That is where most people get behind. There was so much reading my first semester I felt like I was never going to be able to keep up. Try to read ahead of your lecture subjects. That way you won't feel left behind and lost during lecture. And remember to take time for yourself. Talk with your classmates, they are going through it all with you. Good luck. The time will just fly by.
  14. by   Chantilly
    Quote from Daytonite
    Well, one way of thinking that I have always tried to keep in my thoughts is this. . .if thousands and thousands of others were able to go through nursing school successfully, then what's so different about me that I can't do the same? I got to thinking that what was so incredibly odd about me that I couldn't do it. So, think on that for a bit before developing all the anxiety about the books, uniforms and studying involved. Others managed to get through it all. Why can't you?
    I always enjoy reading your posts Daytonite. You are so positive it makes it seem like anything is possible. Thank you for helping me to put things into prespective.:spin:

close