Finding health insurance...Register Today!
- by Cortney2013 Jun 18Hi all! I was wondering if anyone else is running into a problem finding affordable health insurance for the nursing program?? I will only be working part time in August when classes start so I will not be eligible through my work for coverage and I am also a Type 1 diabetic so coverage is extremely hard to find. Can anyone give any tips or places to look that may provide affordable plans for someone like me??
- 1,057 Views
- Jun 18 by Bloomgirl118Do you have a Volunteers In Medicine or other low income clinic in your area that you would be eligible for? I lost my insurance during nursing school and hope to find a job SOON to get it back. Good luck!
- Jun 18 by Cortney2013I have a doctor that I used to work for that sees me without my insurance and a program I use to get help on my insulin right now but it is required for me to have health insurance the entire time I am in nursing school per the program I am going into. I have to be able to provide proof that I have it before August 6th or I will lose my spot for the program
- Jun 18 by Cortney2013I haven't looked into that I will though...unfortunately I have to have the proof before 2014 I did have someone tell me that the NSNA offers insurance for nursing students but I am unsure if they cover preexisting conditions and really don't want to purchase a membership and not use it for anything else. I live in a small town so none of their conferences are ever held around here that I know of. Do any of you guys know about the NSNA?
- Jun 18 by Soccermang21I went through nso.com. I have a pre-existing condition that is not covered under "normal" plans, but I was able to work with an agent to find one that would cover me.
- Jun 19 by CindysBrainHi there,
I purchased health insurance through NSNA. It was about $360.00 for 3 months coverage. I don't recall them ever asking for any health history when I signed up. I've had the insurance now for 4 months and its been great! Here the link:https://www.uhcsr.com/Default.aspx
Best of luck!
- Jun 19 by Cortney2013CindysBrain do you recall what the down payment for that was for initial start up? Also is the coverage only paid in 3 month premiums? Sorry for all the questions I am just trying to find something that is relatively affordable due to only working about 20 hours a week
- Jun 19 by Cortney2013Soccermang21 do you like the coverage through NSO.com? Will this coverage be sufficient for the ADN program since it is just liability coverage and not complete health insurance? Again I am sorry for all the questions I am just trying to search all options.
- Jun 19 by CindysBrainHi,
No, there was no down payment and if I recall correctly you could purchase 3, 6, & 12 months at a time. I purchased this insurance when our family lost our coverage and the nursing coordinator at my program recommended it. I was still able to see my existing Dr. under the plan.