Vision Requirements?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Vision Requirements? in General Nursing Discussion, part of General Nursing ... I am waiting to get accepted into a couple nursing programs and would love to eventually be an ER...by Davis9395 Feb 8I am waiting to get accepted into a couple nursing programs and would love to eventually be an ER nurse, but I am concerned about any vison requirements. My vision is only correctable with glasses to 20/40. Will this restrict me from working in an ER setting?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=814240©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- Feb 8 by traumaRUsHeck no! I'm legally blind in one eye and I worked level one ER for 10 years.
No problems - good luck.
- Feb 8 by GrnTeaNah. You're good. I wouldn't mention it, though, because someone may reflexively balk.
- Feb 8 by classicdameAs a professional you should know when you are not able to do your job. If your job description does not require a specific visual acuity I would not be concerned, unless you know that you have difficulty pulling up meds into a syringe or something like that. Unlike GrnTea I do not think you should try to keep it a secret if VA is part of job description and you do not meet requirements. In that circumstance you could be held liable should the worst occur and it turned out you covered up something. In many states, though, 20/40 in both eyes is good enough to drive------good luck. I bet it is not going to be a worry issue
- Feb 8 by elkparkI'm blind as a bat without my glasses, and corrected to 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other with. I've been in nursing since the Dark Ages, in five different states and many employers, and no one has ever even asked about my vision (although I wear glasses, not contacts, so it's obvious I'm wearing corrective lenses).
- Feb 8 by KelRN215I have good visual accuity but am 50% peripherally blind on the left with no vision from 9-12 in either eye. I have never once had an employer even ask about my vision.