Tetanus shot swelling at injection site normal?Register Today!
- by mixyRN Nov 5, '06I am a nursing student who starts clinicals in January. I just received a tetanus shot on Thursday with no problems the day of injection. But starting Friday I noticed pain at the injection site, totally normal I understand, but on Saturday the site began to swell and is noticably red and painful. It is now swollen to roughly the diameter of a tennis ball with the swelling and redness radiating out from the injection site. There is no pus, oozing or blood from the injection site, just redness and swelling. The injection was intramuscular in the deltoid region.
Is this a normal reaction? I plan to call my doc tomorrow just to be sure.
- Nov 5, '06 by TazziRNWe can't give advice, sorry.
- Nov 5, '06 by LadyT618I would see a doc about that......but regarding second post, since when?
- Nov 5, '06 by All_Smiles_RNI agree with calling your physician.
- Nov 5, '06 by mixyRNQuote from TazziRNHi Tazzi, I wan't asking for advice. I just wondered if any nurses had seen this reaction before with a tetanus shot. I'm not going to substitute any nurse's jusdgement for my physician's medical advice.We can't give advice, sorry.
Just wondering if the reaction is unusual or common.
- Nov 5, '06 by sirIper the tos:
this is not a medical advice bulletin board
this is a board for nurses and nurses-to-be to discuss primarily nursing issues. this is not a free medical advice board. please be aware that allnurses.com cannot be responsible for problems resulting from reliance on medical or nursing advice received here. if you have a medical problem, please seek attention from your health care provider."
a link to tetanus injections:
to the op, only your pcp should be answering questions of this nature. please contact your pcp if you have questions.