Prevacid and G.Tubes
- 0May 6, '02 by ohbetHow do you get the Prevacid granules to go down the G.Tube without clogging the damn thing up?
- 0May 6, '02 by HuganurseMore helpful tips:
You may mix the granules in some fruit or vegetable juice and give it immediately. Juices you may use include apple, cranberry, grape, orange, pineapple, prune, tomato, and V-8 vegetable juice. Do not crush the granules.
This was from the drug information page on the Mayo Clinic web site. It was refering to PO route, however it could be given via G-tube this way too although I don't think I'd use the veggie juices as a choice for giving via G-tube.
- 1May 6, '02 by sharannWhere was this post when I was new and clogged up a darn g-tube with those stupid granules? That was a scary hour of every nurse (and the unit secretary who was in RN school) working on the tube. Fortunately, the unit secretary gor it unclogged (of course none of us "Saw" this occur).
- 0May 7, '02 by kidsWhen Prilosec (same manuf.) came out they sent out a poster that said to mix it in apple juice to put down tubes.
(It is mixed with sodium bicarb to disolve, then diluted with sterile water to the sesired conc.)
We keep the 3 compound pharmasists in my town refering our home care kids to them to have their meds made into liquids.
- 0May 7, '02 by microflush, flush, flush, flush, flush..........
and a good dose of common sense...........
maybe split the granules up into equal portions.......and give 1/2 seperately with flush, flush, flush, flush, flush......with warm water...........
but no stones, please.........
this only learned from long long experience.........(experience=the wrong way to do it)
- 0May 7, '02 by fedupnurseI find if I hold the syringe (60 cc) sideways it disperses the granules more slowly and evenly rather than going into the tube in one big clump. A GI doc told me(after I asked hi why they don't just make it in luquid form) "that can't clog up NG tubes, that's why they made it that way!" I asked him the last time he administered medications via an NG or G tube. Answer: Dead Silence until he said "have a nice day now!" and quickly left the unit.