NEW JOB!!! what have I gotten myself into.....Register Today!
This is a discussion on NEW JOB!!! what have I gotten myself into..... in General Nursing Discussion, part of General Nursing ... I recently was hired to work for aetna as a case management RN. I don't have formal case management...by imperialsugar Jan 28I recently was hired to work for aetna as a case management RN. I don't have formal case management experience (as in the actual job title) from any other jobs but at my current job I do A LOT of case management duties.
I have been at my current job several years so starting somewhere else is scary but it is something I must do.
It'll be an in office non traveling position. Can someone give me advice on how ti prepare? Is aetna a good company to work for? Tell me everything please, even the bad!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=811607©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- Jan 28 by netglowI'd search the net too. Look at glassdoor.com, careerbliss.com, indeed.com forums, and look for your position among the entries and see what is said. Usually you can tell who is nuts and who has a legit beef.
Never been one, but case management for insurers has to do with you being one of the gatekeepers of the company's money - whether that be that the patient will be allowed/denied tx or continued tx, or that the patient's providers are suggesting tx that is "accepted" for the patient's condition.
Search allnurses as well for threads dealing with case management.
- Jan 28 by HouTxCE Direct (used to be NurseWeek) had a great multi-part online course in Case Management. I don't know if they still have it, but our case managers raved about it and used it to train the newbies. I think you can do a personal subscription to that site for ~$5- - $60. Well worth the investment.
- THANK YOU!!! (tried to post a reply via my phone earlier today) but it evidently didn't go through. I checked out glassdoor and briefly looked at careerbliss......I've browsed through lots of the case management threads and will do so again to see if anything new has been posted.
I appreciate your suggestions, thanks!
- CE DIRECT!! thanks, I really appreciate it. I was looking for something along these lines. I am sure it will be very helpful so thankyou very much.
- Jan 28 by mtngrlI also work for an insurance company, not aetna though. I am tired of it..I seem to always be the bad guy and telling them things they DON'T want to hear. It seems I make more people upset than actually help them with anything. Maybe it will be different at your job. But the bottom line is, they want to save money.
- thank you for your perspective, it is appreciated. I am already the bad guy at my job because patients get really mad if they not maintained NPO / having a driver prior to surgery even though they were instructed ahead of time. I've worked with an EXTREMELY frugal person for awhile now so I guess I am used to "omg save money." I hope this place I am going to is not bad though...I am going to keep what you wrote in mind. thanks!
- Jan 29 by GrnTeaIf you aren't turned on to the CMSA (Case Management Society of America) do not hesitate to join, hook on to your local chapter, and plan for the national conference in June. Great, great resources. All the CEUs you could ever want, and things for novice through expert.
(I did case mgmt for insurance for many years-- PM me prn!)
- Jun 18 by kvinnaRNHi imperialsugar,
I stumbled on this thread when I was looking for discussions for nurse positions at Aetna.
Are you still working for Aetna? If so, how is it going? I live near one of the offices and am thinking of applying for a either UR or Case Management in the future.
Thanks for any help!