As a former Director of Nursing I can give the real low down. Don't pay any attention to the other posts, cause they are off the mark.
1. Straight away make sure your potential employer understands you are leading the interview - not him/her. Take charge.
2. You don't have the job yet so dress ultra casual. This will give them the understanding you aren't faking your way through the interview. If this isn't your bag and you are really high on nursing it would be a good idea to show up in scrubs
, a stethoscope around your neck, a "nursey" watch, and white shoes.
3. Let it be known at every opportunity what you will NOT be doing. (example - I don't wipe butt, and I don't suction trachs)
4. If the interviewer begins to ramble politely suggest they "move thier rump" cause you have things to do. I liked the phrase "I got a life outside of here, ya know?".
5. While you are waiting for the interviewer it is perfectly cool to drum your fingers on the table or wall and as time ticks away allow yourself to escalate into a full fledged rendition of "Tom Sawyer" by Rush (or if your young and don't know them you can pick anything by Limp Bizkit). Singing is a plus. It shows you are creative and energetic.
6. Wear lots of cologne or perfume and if they comment negatively pretend you can't hear them "I am sorry, this cologne is too loud, I can't hear a word your saying" or alternately claim it is thier own cologne they are smelling.
7. As soon as you are givin the opportunity ask how much money you will make, when you can take you first vacation, if you are allowed to no call/no show and how many times before it's 'serious'.
8. Ask about the narcotic keys and hold your keyring and exclaim "They are going right here baby!!" then say, "Do you know the street value of demerol around here?"
9. To help ease the tension it is always cool to bring your todler, or you could borrow one. They love to run around the office and pull down things. Don't worry the interviewer will smile and say, "no problem at all" (they love babies)
10. Finally: Call them 30 minutes after you were supposed to be there and say:
My car broke down or
the babysitter didn't show or
I am running late from another interview(can we make it a quikie)
or I am really sick.
oh, just in case - do the opposite.