Is it a JP or is it a Blake? Is it a JP or is it a Blake? | allnurses

Is it a JP or is it a Blake?

  1. 0 When I was in school, they were called Jackson Pratt (JP) drains. On orientation, a pt had a drain, which my preceptor was calling a Blake. I was like, uhh, it looks like a JP drain.

    So, was there a switch to Blake? or is it an either/or thing? (everyone on my unit calls them a Blake) or is it a brand name?

  2. 17 Comments

  3. Visit  lpnstudentin2010 profile page
    #1 0
    i dont know since i am not a nurse but right now i have a JP drain it says Jackson-Pratt on it so there you go
  4. Visit  CritterLover profile page
    #2 0
    my understanding is that they are different brands of the same thing.
  5. Visit  VivaLasViejas profile page
    #3 0
    I believe it's just another brand name...........both drains look the same to me, and I've seen hundreds of 'em.
  6. Visit  Marie_LPN, RN profile page
    #4 0
    Jackson-Pratt is a brand name.

    At our facility, most people refer to this as a JP:
  7. Visit  unknown99 profile page
    #5 0
    The BLAKE Drains are white, radiopaque silicone drains with four channels along the sides with a solid core center. Their other components consist of a silicone hub, a silicone extension tubing and an adapter. The drains are available either 3/4 fluted (hub outside skin) or full fluted (hub inside skin) and with or without a trocar.

    JP drain: The original suction drain. The drain itself is inside the body. It is made of Teflon and has multiple drainage holes. The drain is connected to clear plastic tubing which is usually sutured to the skin at the point it leaves the skin. The tubing connects to a bulb reservoir. The bulb, when squeezed empty, applies constant suction to the drain and pulls the fluid out of the body. The drain is removed when the excess fluid has stopped draining from the body. A JP drain may be used, for example, for abdominal or thoracic drainage. JP stands for Jackson-Pratt.
  8. Visit  unknown99 profile page
    #6 0
    Last edit by unknown99 on Aug 31, '05 : Reason: double post
  9. Visit  allele profile page
    #7 0
    What sagarcia said is right to me. Now, a while back our cardiac surgeons would use a blake drain to the pleural space in their patients. When the nurses d/c's the chest tubes, the blake drain STAYED in and we attached a JP bulb to it!! Hah!! A combination of the two!! LOL Probably doesn't help much to clear it up. LOL
  10. Visit  MissJoRN profile page
    #8 0
    I'm also agreeing with sagarcia- we use both in our OR and they are two distinct animals. If you would look at a cross-section of the blake it looks a little like one of the cross logos on a "west coast chopper" tee shirt. The J-P, however is a round perforated tube or a rectangular perforated "ribbon" (Flat vs round J-P) Both attatch to either the grenade bulb or a hemovac and the only way to tell which drain is in place is by seeing it outside the pt or reading the op-record. It really doesn't matter too much as far as the post op care goes.
  11. Visit  stevierae profile page
    #9 0
    JPs (Jackson-Pratts) are flat. Blakes are round. Most everybody requests a JP in the OR, and that's what most of us are used to---not sure where in the country they are used to using Blakes instead of JPs, but apparently some docs have trained with Blakes and are used to them. Where I last worked, we stocked both, but I can't recall anyone ever specifically requesting a Blake--they soon got used to JPs when they started working there. The Blakes just gathered dust.

    Bulbs and after care are the same for each.

    Never heard of a "round" JP drain.
    Last edit by stevierae on Aug 31, '05
  12. Visit  HappyNurse2005 profile page
    #10 0
    well, im on a cardiac surgery pcu, and they use blakes here.

    and for the record, i've also seen the chest tubes hooked to the bulb, too.

    thanks for explaining!
  13. Visit  alyca profile page
    #11 0
    Umm....if it looks like a grenade, it's a JP (Jackson Pratt). If it is round and flat with springs inside, it is a HemoVac (HV). Not sure about the blake
  14. Visit  KimBear182 profile page
    #12 0
    I work on an IMCU floor. we get post open heart patients. we refer to them as Blakes.