Here we go again . . . - Page 2Register Today!
- Mar 23, '10 by CFitzRNQuote from sunnycalifRNI know exactly what you mean. It is uncanny. And unkind! One day bleeds into the next, and into the next, etc. It will be Christmas again before we know it and we'll be schlepping out our decorations and scratching our heads wondering where the last year went!!Haha! You must be a young person!! 2020 is only 10 years . . . when you get OLD, years go by faster and faster . . . my "baby girl" is 25!!!! For my sake, I hope that 2020 is a LONG WAY AWAY!!!
- Mar 23, '10 by sunnycalifRNQuote from RNperdiemI agree!! The "gold watch and fishing" retirement is the stuff of 1950's movies. I guess the statisticians and demographers who make the "nursing shortage" predictions just watch "Leave it to Beaver" re-runs and sit in their ivory towers!!The assumption is that the baby boom generation will follow the same pattern into retirement as the generations before them.
This generation didn't want their parents' lives and will probably not want their parents' retirements. (Not that they have the gold watch and pension to match like many older people did).
My parents, my neighbors and my relatives at that age are all working. When I mention the word "retirement" I am likely to get the eye roll or the "retire to do what?" line.
Many people can't afford to retire fully.
- Mar 23, '10 by OC_An KheYes retirement of the boomers will cause a greater demand for nurses and a dwindling supply. Once this economy turns aground, and it will, you will see nurses finding employment fairly easily. It always happens after every recession.
- Mar 23, '10 by vanrn(I don't mean to hi jack the thread but...) trauma...are you doing the DNP? I hear that going back to school in these troubled times is a good idea-best of luck to all who choose this path!!
- Mar 23, '10 by ohmyloveWouldn't you think that with the new health care reform there would be a huge demand for nurses. Considering the nurse to patient ratio right now is pushing it.
- Mar 23, '10 by vegas2009Quote from sunnycalifRNHaha! You must be a young person!! 2020 is only 10 years . . . when you get OLD, years go by faster and faster . . . my "baby girl" is 25!!!! For my sake, I hope that 2020 is a LONG WAY AWAY!!!
Huh? only 10 years? That's a decade! For me, that is long..... But, nah, I'm not that young. I'm no spring chicken, if that's what you mean. What is old anyway -- 60?? Hey, I dated someone 15 years my senior when I was in my 20's, I'm in my 30's now. Some people just age well, with or without botox! Age is nothin' but a numba! I mean just look at Sarah Palin, Hillary Clinton, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, even John Edwards the cheetah Some people are just programmed to look better when they get older, it's like aged wine!