HELP please with nursing PICO question (Maternal, OB, Newborn, etc)!?
- 0Apr 29, '11 by KatieBug713I need a PICO question over either pregnancy, pregnancy complications, postpartum, newborn, premature newborn, anything along those lines. I know how to make a PICO question so I am not asking that. I am just having trouble with this area and exploring things I could do one over and find articles with. Thanks!
- 7,021 Visits
- 0Apr 29, '11 by littleluvbugnavyYou need to focus on one area and go from there. You can't possibly have a PICO question that would cover all of those in one swoop. Take one category, like postpartum, then think of potential complications, like urinary retention, then think of interventions to compare...break it down that way.
- 0Apr 29, '11 by 1spunkyIf you are looking along the newborn line, how about traditional tub bathing vs sponge bathing. You could look at temperature stability both pre and post bath, umbilical cord healing and infection control, infant contentment, as well as maternal pleasure and confidence with bathing before discharge. Hope this helps.
- 0Apr 30, '11 by chiandreFor PICO question, the idea is to identify patient problem or population (P), intervention (I), comparison (C) and outcome(s) (O). For instance, consider this example:
“For postpartum cesarean section pain, will PCA pump work better as compared to IM or SQ analgesics to reduce postoperative postpartum pain”?
1. Sackett DL, Richardson WS, Rosenberg W, Haynes RB (1997). Evidence-based medicine: How to practice and teach EBM. New York: Churchill Livingston.