EKG tips for Dummies
- 0Oct 21, '09 by FSK123Does anyone have easy tips/mnemonics for remembering different EKG strips, or for remembering what will cause changes in EKG strips?
Or easy, informative books to understand and reference too?
- 27,928 Views
- 1Oct 21, '09 by Be_MooreThe only real like "tip" type thing that I have to remember EKG changes is that you can look at the T-Wave as a tent for potassium. If you have a low K, you will have flattened out T-waves. If you have a high K, you will have tall-peaked T-waves. Other than that I just took a class or two on EKG interpretation and now just have the different rhythms memorized. I recommend you take a class.
- 1Oct 21, '09 by Da_Milk_of_AmnesiaIf you want to understand the patho behind certain rhythms then Dr. Dubins Interpretations on EKGs is a really good book. It's how i thought myself to read EKGs at 17 Years old. I was better than most medics..It's a good start and it has alot of good stuff in it to help you remember
- 0Oct 21, '09 by GalleyratJust a couple that I use:
Sync (synchronize) the sick, defib (defibrillate) the dead
Heart blocks -
1st degree, PR greater than .20
2nd degree, type 1 : prolong, prolong, drop, prolong, prolong drop (patterened lengthening of PR until a beat is missed)
2nd degree, type 2: conduct, nonconduct, conduct, nonconduct (no change is PR length but beat is missed - has P wave, but no QRS follows)
- 0Oct 21, '09 by LacieOnline course for a fee but really not that expensive and very good program. I really enjoyed it and being virtual helped alot. 5 ceu's for if I remember around $57.00. The 12-lead course is bit too expensive though for my blood at $330.00. I did the basic rhythm course
http://www.ecgrhythmcourse.com/index.cfmLast edit by Lacie on Oct 21, '09
- 0Oct 21, '09 by freefalrthere's a good book called "rapid interpretation of ekgs," i think is its title. it's orange. i remember that much! not sure if it's still in print...
& there used to be stuff on www.blaufuss.org about arrhythmias & heart sounds, but i'm not sure if it's still there.
i don't know any mnemonics, sorry!
sorry am not very much help!