What are the pros of getting your BSN?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hello. I haven't begun my nursing studies yet, but I was wondering if going for BSN after receiving an AA degree in nursing is a good idea. What are the differences between a nurse with a BSN and one with an ADN from a community college? Are they both considered a RN? Is there a salary difference? Does having a BSN make a nurse look more favorable to recruiters? Also, are there materials/experiences that a nurse will never learn if he or she never enters a BSN program that will affect work performance in the real world? Is an ADN not enough???? And would that be a reason why nurses continue their education? Who knows if I may feel that I need more school education later on, but for now I'm planning on enrolling in an ADN program at a near community college and find work right after because I do not want to spend three additional years after graduating from a two year nursing program studing and doing rotations. Is this a bad choice? Will people look down on me or think that I'm not capable of carrying out certain tasks because I do not have a BSN? Are nurses with BSN and ADN basically the same is what I would like to end this post with :) Please help. Thanks.

OH and this is an edit. I'm not a shy person and I love to talk, but I have a fear of public speaking. I totally blank out for no reason at all :p I love to perform in front of an audience, but no public speaking. Would I have to do some oral presentations while in nursing school (ADN and BSN)? If that is the case, I guess I have to deal with it :crying2:

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

Hi. I hate public speaking with a passion that surprises even me.

Both the BSN and the ASN from a community college lead to an RN. Both take the same NCLEX to become registered nurses. Both take entry level positions, primarily at hospitals, making pretty close to the same amount of money.

The advantage of the BSN comes later with experience. You are able to get a more variety of positions in public health, education, research and management to name a few.

ASN or ADN nurses can do very well for themselves too and take a wide variety of positions that pay very well.

I got my ADN 15 years ago because it was the only program in town, and the only one I could afford. Now I'm back in school to finish up. For me it's an investment in the future and a personal goal. If I keep my same job I'll get a 4% raise, which hardly seems worth it. But I'm not sure I want I want 20 years from now and having the BSN over with will give me options.

Good luck to you in all you do. Feel free to answer questions and do a search of this website. It's discussed quite a bit here. :)

Specializes in Critical Care.

It just depends on what you want to do nursing.

For example, I wouldn't be a good manager because I'm too big a loud mouth. Management is too big a 'squeeze' between two competing forces for me. But that's a personal thing.

But I always wanted to have a Bach degree. So, I went back to school and finished my bach degree --- in Biology. I didn't see any particular advantage to BSN and Texas A&M, from where I always dreamed of having a degree, doesn't have a BSN program (or they do down the road, but graduating from it doesn't entitle you to an 'aggie ring').

My bach degree, from an economic aspect, is just an expensive wall hanging. But that's not why I got it. And my personal evaluation was that having a BSN doesn't have enough added economic value to pursue - then or now.

I have friends spending 10-20K to finish their degrees online and stressing about classes for 1-2 more years, but dang! If I never see another scantron/mulitiple choice test or fill out another student loan app again, it'll be too soon.

It just depends on what you want. I can see the value of BSN for some, and I can even see it for the profession. But let me say without opening the ADN/BSN debate that moving towards BSN as a professional standard is going to have to involve economic incentives: if my BSN peers made 5 bucks more an hour, the degree hanging on my wall wouldn't be in biology.

~faith,

Timothy.

Getting a BSN (and/or MSN) may or may not have economic advantages, depending on what you do with it. But as someone once said to me "it buys you a ticket to the dance, if you want to dance". It's a good way to set yourself up for the future, in case you decide to pursue a job that requires it. Because even though right now you may think you'll never want to leave the bedside, you never know what the future holds- that management job, or research, or home health or something may entice you at some point. If you go ahead and get your BSN you'll be ready if that appeals to you at some future point in time. I'm a diploma grad and I originally said I would never go back to school, why would I need that? But I just graduated with both the BSN and MSN, because my goals changed over the years.

Both BSN and MSN programs do involve some public speaking- they love to have you do group projects and presentations. But don't let that stop you. It gets easier with each presentation. :)

I think if you want to get your ADN now that's fine. Go for it and good luck! I don't think anyone will look down on you, and you certainly will be able to function as an excellent nurse with that background. Be aware though that some hospitals do prefer to hire BSN-prepared nurses. But certainly not all of them- you'll have plenty of opportunities waiting for you when you graduate.

Specializes in Critical Care.
But as someone once said to me "it buys you a ticket to the dance, if you want to dance".

I completely agree. The question is: do you want to dance? And that's a valid question: for many (maybe you), that answer is, YES!

And there are tons more opportunities available these days besides management and research that requires a BSN as the gateway to a higher degree: ANP, NP, CRNA, etc.

In fact, these pathways are probably the future of nursing: in 20 yrs, you might be at a severe economic disadvantage by not moving in that direction.

In the present at least, and this is why nursing is so great: there is enough variety that ADN is a completely valid gateway to get your wings while you are pursuing BSN or further, if it's your thing.

You asked about the pros of getting BSN after ADN that you are currently going to get: my advice - get the ADN, work for awhile, examine your potential horizons, and then go for BSN if you see it's in your interests. It won't hurt you significantly to evaluate those options after you are working as an ADN and can better evaluate where your passions lead you. (and besides, working towards BSN with the ADN under your belt is not only more cost effective, there is something to be said for tackling your education in chunks rather then all at once. Being an ADN allows you to be able to afford to take time off in between).

~faith,

Timothy.

Specializes in surgical, emergency.

As a ADN and BSN, I agree with Tweety (don't we all :chuckle ) and others when they say the BSN degree gives you, if nothing else, options.

I graduated with an Associate Degree in 1977, (gasp!). At that time, I felt that was enough. I was well prepared for State Board Exam, as it was called then, hired to a local hospital, and was eventually put in charge of the medical floor. Several of my classmates even become shift supervisors, and other administrative type positions.

But, as they say, times are a changing. With "only" an ADN, now a days, it's much harder to further yourself. Not to say that it cannot be done. In my mind, experience, addtional training, such as ACLS, PALS, TNCC, CNOR and so on in the world of alphabet soup, gives you more options. The bigger, being a BSN or MSN.

Look at it this way, if you were an upper administrative person looking at two candidates, both equal EXCEPT for a BSN or say MSN, that difference may be the difference.

I went back for my BSN, and got it in 1994, twenty years after high school, and what, 17 years after my ADN. WHY??? Several reasons, my kids were getting older, I had a little extra time to give to the project, I wanted to mentally challenge myself a bit and see what the rest of the nursing world was like, I liked the idea of a few cents more an hour, and I wanted to have more options in my career. True, I am still at the bedside, working in surgery. Some would say, "look what all that work got you.....nothing." And to a point, that's true, however part of my current working situation was my choice and due to my personality, not because of the BSN!!!!

If someone asked me, if you are in a nursing training program which gets you your RN/BSN, stick with it!! If you are a new RN without a BSN or other degree, consider working for a while, then go back, maybe part time, and get further education and/or degrees. Get some experience to base your degree on. Don't forget certifications and ACLS, PALS and all that.

In my mind, all this education and experience can produce a good, well rounded nurse, and gives you OPTIONS as you continue your career.

Hope that helps!! Good luck to all you SN's....hang in there!! We need ya!

Mike

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

I did LPN, ADN, BSN, MSN. For me, with my husband in the military and moving ever 24 months whether we wanted to or not, this was the only way to go. However, I'm now 47 and though I love staff nursing (and still do it prn), I don't want to have to force myself to work for another 20 years doing something that my body may or may not allow me to do. Like everyone else, my education gives me options. Along with experience and all the certs, I can compete for jobs.

BSN at the hospital I work at is not much of a diff. in pay. As stated, the diff. between them are just keeping your options open. If you do not plan on getting an MSN of any kind i WOULD NOT get a BSN. Id just call it quits at the RN. However, if you plan to get your CRNA to drug people for example, you must have the BSN. BSN's are more likely to become charge nurses and assistant nurse managers at my hospital.

Specializes in ER.

The biggest reason I chose BSN (aside from proximity and the lack of a long waiting list) is the fact that no matter what I decide to do in the future, I will have a bachelor's degree. If I were to eventually decide nursing is not for me, no big deal....my degree can be used, regardless.

Wow, the posts were very informative. Thank you so much! I guess the biggest advantage of having a BSN is that it allows a person to have more options in means of positions. To tell the truth, I have no desire whatsoever to study for yeeeaarrrsss, which means I do not want a MSN or even a BSN. But like some of you guys maybe I'll decide to go back to school after twenty years or so :)

What is the ADN course like at community colleges? Is there more workload than what was there for the pre-req courses? Also, would I have to write a lot of papers? I don't mind memorizing and studying for tests (sometimes I look forward to opening a book and focusing on the materials there), but I hate to write :stone Like I've said previously, I HATE public speaking. And yes it does come as a surprise to others because I talk. A lot. I think I have a phobia :rotfl: Would I have to do oral presentations? I just want to know a bit of what I'm getting myself into in about a year. Thanks!

Wow, the posts were very informative. Thank you so much! I guess the biggest advantage of having a BSN is that it allows a person to have more options in means of positions. To tell the truth, I have no desire whatsoever to study for yeeeaarrrsss, which means I do not want a MSN or even a BSN. But like some of you guys maybe I'll decide to go back to school after twenty years or so :)

What is the ADN course like at community colleges? Is there more workload than what was there for the pre-req courses? Also, would I have to write a lot of papers? I don't mind memorizing and studying for tests (sometimes I look forward to opening a book and focusing on the materials there), but I hate to write :stone Like I've said previously, I HATE public speaking. And yes it does come as a surprise to others because I talk. A lot. I think I have a phobia :rotfl: Would I have to do oral presentations? I just want to know a bit of what I'm getting myself into in about a year. Thanks!

I"m in community college for my ADN, just finished the first clinical year!

I think--and it could be just the school I attend--but it seems to me that the associate-route is fewer classes but more material packed into the ones we have. We have no pathophysiology class, no pharmacology class, no official required math course past high school. I kind of wish I could have gone the BSN route, just to take the other classes that I hear others talk about here. Instead, the subjects are incorporated into our modules, so not only did we learn about, say, diabetes, in terms of the why's and how's, we learned nursing interventions at the same time. Tougher in a way I think than to come into the class with at least more knowledge of the disease itself to begin with.

My school doesn't require any oral presentations that I am aware of, although we are all expected to participate in conferences. I think that we speak durring the pinning ceremony...

No research reports that I've heard of yet. One professional literature review that was cake. Nurse process papers from hell of course lol but we all get those. I don't know what the last two semesters hold in store tho. Maybe there is more there. I think the BSN program demands more writing/research.

I can't remember much of the pre-req's like Anat, phys, and chem. I did them years ago and they were hard but I was young and a single mother. School wasn't the priority then. I loved Micro tho.

We have to take a Lifespan Psych class, which was boring because it has to cover conception to death so it didn't get very in depth. And two required foundation classes--the first one mostly nursing history and the second one...well, I'll tell ya after I take it in the fall! ;) One credit, on-line classes tho..not a big deal.

Our 2 year program is known for having the highest pass rate of the several schools in our area.(90 or 93% which is higher than NYS rate) There are I think four area schools offering BSN and two CC's, including my own. People who fail out of our program are often accepted to the 4-year colleges. Less waiting, more money paid out tho.

Expectations are HIGH here. Not sure if all CC's are as strict as mine in terms of grades and attendance. Others in ADN programs have to do things we don't, so I guess it depends on where you go to school.

If I were you, I'd go for the 2-year degree and then get your future employer to pay for the rest of your BSN. That's what I am going to do.

ADN program is very intense!..take it from a a student who will be second year come fall. The workload is awful but so worth the education attained. I have learned so much material the past year it is remarkable! I could not have chosen a better career path. You will get used to the public speaking..face it you have to communicate with your patients at least. It comes with time. There is a lot of education involved with your patients. You are not just a care giver to these people..u are a teacher too!

+ Add a Comment