Schedules

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in MR.

I was just wondering how far in advance is an employer required to post schedules? :o

My employer post them on Friday- for the following week. It is driving us nuts because we cannot make appts & plan vacations cause we never know what we are working. Yes we have all signed contracts w/set schedules but we are so short (not short- tight) that we are all working alot of xtra hours. We have reached a point where they are no longer asking us- just scheduling us. I changed positions from 40 hr flex to a set schedule to avoid this problem. Have yet to work my new schedule, they just schedule me where ever & now pay me a dollar less an hour!:angryfire So if someone knows if they are legally required to post a schedule like 2 weeks in advance or some time frame it would be appreciated.

Specializes in Med-Surg.

So you are only scheduled one week at a time? That doesn't seem right at all. We get our schedules in 4 week increments. The workweek starts on Sunday and the manager is required to post them monthly the Thursday before it goes into effect. That doesn't seem like much notice to me either.

Specializes in MR.

Yep thats how they have been doing it lately. We are a small ICF for MR about 15 employees presently- usually 25 or better. We all have set schedules w/a contract we signed. I am supposed to work 37 hrs a week 4 days each week. Our problem is we cannot get help so we are very short staffed, so now we suffer w/schedules. An example is this coming week I asked for time off on Friday Saturday Sunday & Monday. I got Saturday & Sunday off, work till 8 am on Friday & I don't know about Monday yet. I told them I was going away for a 1st anniversary celebration so they took me off the schedule for Friday evening & put me on the schedule for Thursday overnight (yes I agreed to that so I could have the rest of Friday off.) I just wanted to know if the were required by law to post a schedule so many days in advance or not?

Specializes in CVICU-ICU.

There is no law requiring a employer to post a schedule so many days in advance.

Specializes in NICU.

We self schedule ourselves. Right now, we just put our self schedules in the book for the month of October. But then the final schedule for that particular schedule will be posted about 2 wks before it begins. So we have plently of time to schedule vacations and any kind of appointments that we need. It works really well for us. Our schedules are posted in 4 wk increments as well.

Our schedule is done also in 4 week increments. It is supposed to be put out 12 days in advance per policy, but it rarely is unless our manager is going on vacation. We've even had it one day in advance. Makes it hard to plan since you have no idea if your requests were given.

our schedules are posted 14 days in advance by union contract.

Specializes in Emergency.

New schedules posted two weeks ahead per union contract.

Specializes in Rural Health.

We self schedule, do the schedules for 8 weeks at a time but they aren't usually offical until the Thursday or Friday before they go into effect.

Specializes in Cardiac, ER, ICU.

That would be really tough, how could you make dr appts or anything? we get ours about 4 weeks at a time..

ours are about a month ahead of time, but we are allowed to ask for changes should the need arise. Of course, if we wait too long, we aren't guarunteed to make that change. we submit for time off in the beginning of each year for things we REALLY want/need, the rest we take in stride as things occur.

Specializes in Cardiology.
We self schedule, do the schedules for 8 weeks at a time but they aren't usually offical until the Thursday or Friday before they go into effect.

same for me

+ Add a Comment