Do our steths spread infection

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Do our stethescopes, scissors, PDAs, Blackberries, and/or bar code scanners spread infection?

im sure they do.

I would be interested in culturing a few to see what they grow out.

Specializes in PICU, Nurse Educator, Clinical Research.

You can get antimicrobial steth covers- I can't remember the name, but I have a crapload in my bag I got from a vendor. i'll post the name when I see them again.

Also, I've often wondered about the barcode scanners. I remember seeing nurses lay the scanners down on the bedsheets at clinicals- ew! There was also no policy at that particular hospital regarding disinfecting the scanners. Craziness.

In about a million years, I'd like to do research on infection transmission, especially in the ICU setting. A good friend is starting in peds BMT this week, and I'm looking foward to hearing how they minimize infection risk there.

You can get antimicrobial steth covers- I can't remember the name, but I have a crapload in my bag I got from a vendor. i'll post the name when I see them again.

Also, I've often wondered about the barcode scanners. I remember seeing nurses lay the scanners down on the bedsheets at clinicals- ew! There was also no policy at that particular hospital regarding disinfecting the scanners. Craziness.

In about a million years, I'd like to do research on infection transmission, especially in the ICU setting. A good friend is starting in peds BMT this week, and I'm looking foward to hearing how they minimize infection risk there.

I am very interested in the covers. Missed NTI this year - darned It was New Orleans too!

We use disposable (send home with patient) stethoscopes in isolation rooms. What about before isolation is ordered? Yuck!

Specializes in med-surg/ortho for now.

They must spread infection! I have antimicrobial sthethoscope covers...called SafeSeal..I went to their website and they sent me free samples and you can purchase them as well.

I tend to clean mine with alcohol several times per day at least the bell of the stethoscope. It doesn't seem to harm it and I've had it for four years, but totally could understand that they would be growing something! :uhoh21:

Specializes in Med/Surg, Ortho.

It seems there was a study done recently, and i dont have links but it showed that most any bug that can be found in a hospital is on the computer keyboards, including MRSA, VRE, Ecoli etc. Most have the plastic covers but they arent cleaned so they spread the bugs to our hands,, to the next persons hands and then in turn we spread it to the patients.

I think second in line were stethescopes.

Do the call buttons and remotes get cleaned between patients?

Am I over reacting? I clean my stethoscope with alcohol swabs too. What about BP cuffs? IV poles? Gosh, I'm suddenly imagining MRSA everywhere! There are a few docs who need reminding to wash their hands. What is on their stethoscope?

http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/articles/531feat2.html

Disposable Items Help Prevent Healthcare-Acquired Infections

a local hospital cultured physician ties and found i believe over 60 something percent with e-coli and other bacteria.

Specializes in Cath Lab, OR, CPHN/SN, ER.

I also clean my scope with alcohol and every now and then with Dispatch.

I was curious how many microbes grow under rings, despite handwashing.

BF cuffs, most of ours are disposable. IV poles get cleaned between pt's by central. Yes, rooms get sprayed down (at least out ED rooms) with Dispatch after the pt leaves. Housekeeping is also in the rooms several times a day to sweep and empty trash.

I also ask people to please not bring their small children back (unless they're the only one there with no one to care for them) b/c despite the cleaning, it's a dirty place, and I know i don't want my kids playing around there. The parents so far have been cool about it.

We've gone to bedside scopes that are disinfected between patients after ongoing problems with MRSA.

I worked with a dentist years and years ago that was a teacher at Georgetown University in Wash, DC; He said that they did a study there and found that the thing that spread the most bacteria/"germs" was pens. I always thought about that when I was an OB CST-I see the nurse cleaning up the baby after a c-section, wearing her gloves, and charting while still wearing those nasty blood and vernix covered gloves, then of course sticking the pen back into her scrub shirt pocket! Gag!

+ Add a Comment