Skirts in the OR

Specialties Operating Room

Published

Is this an absolute no-no. I wear skirts, and did so throughout all of my clinicals (my personal preference). I got to observe a C-section once and no one said anything to me. What do you think? By the way I live in Colorado, so I don't know if there are different rules about this in other parts of the country.

Thanks for replying.

Specializes in 5 yrs OR, ASU Pre-Op 2 yr. ER.

We have a rule against skirts, for staff and students.

Hi,

Marie LPN, can you tell me the reasoning behind this please ?

Yes, skirts and dresses are out in the OR. You normally would not be wearing your own uniform to begin with, but scrubs provided by the facility.

Most C-sections are done in the Labor and Delivery area, so they may have different rules, but for the actual OR, it is pants.

And you can just think about it why skirts and dresses are not permitted.

Specializes in Pediatric Pulmonology and Allergy.

I'm guessing that skirts can billow out and touch where they're not supposed to?

Perineal fallout is what policy says.

Because the only way to find out if someone's wearing underwear and pantyhose (not thigh-highs or knee-highs) is to look, and not many people will subject themselves to an undergarment inspection.

Our C-section areas do not permit skirts either.

Specializes in ER.
Perineal fallout

Am I understanding this to mean they're afraid something might fall out from underneath the skirt? OMG, that is terrible... and kind of funny to my odd sense of humor! Maybe it's just the term!

To me, though it seems logical, I would think that someone who wears only skirts for religious reasons could feasibly have a discrimination case with this. There are quite a few nurses in my hospital who do only wear skirts, and though I know of none who work OR, I assume they did some observation during nursing school. Wonder how they got around with that?

Specializes in Pediatric Pulmonology and Allergy.

I also wear only skirts. If "perineal fallout" is the issue, would wearing a skirt on top of scrub pants be OK?

Am I understanding this to mean they're afraid something might fall out from underneath the skirt? OMG, that is terrible... and kind of funny to my odd sense of humor! Maybe it's just the term!

Something, or other stuff.

Hair and other things don't only fall off of people's scalps, they fall from other areas as well. And not just hair either.

Perineal fallout:smackingf I had to look that up. I didn't find much except for Media. Does it mean pubic hair falling out. What about the people with pants on. They might not have underwear on either. I read somewhere on this post they make you take them off, change them or whatever they do.

By the way Marie LPN, I'm impressed that you would take the time to look this up. Thanks! However, I am not convinced that I could be a hazard to the patient by having on panty hose, and a skirt.

If pants are under the skirt, that's fine. That's what a few students have done.

+ Add a Comment