Quick info on SBAR?

Specialties MICU

Published

Specializes in 2nd Year RN Student.

I was just asked if I knew much about SBAR and I did a really quick search online. It sounds like this is some sort of universal inter-disciplinary system? Can anyone point me in the right direction for a bit more clarification?

Thanks!

/dak

Specializes in Neuro ICU, Neuro/Trauma stepdown.

guidelines for efficient communication. i cant remember what it stands for. we use it at work to get your ducks in a row before calling a doc or calling report. the patient, history and current assessment, problem, request/reccomendations

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

SBAR is a tool used to incorporate needed communication especially in high risk medical situations. It is a product that is sold here:

http://saferhealthcare.com/sbar.html

I have worked at a hospital that used it and it's okay. If you are an experienced nurse, you know about getting your ducks in a row prior to calling an MD. However, I think for new nurses, it is a great tool. (I am in no way endorsing this product, just pointing out that it is a product).

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU

SBAR

HAVE ALL INFORMATION AVAILABLE WHEN REPORTING

• CHART
  • ALLERGIES
  • MEDICATION LIST
  • PERTINENT LAB RESULTS
  • DNAR STATUS WITH DATE
  • PRIMARY PHYSICIAN'S NAME

SITUATION

• STATE YOUR NAME AND UNIT
  • “I AM CALLING ABOUT (PATIENT NAME AND OTHER IDENTIFYING INFORMATION)…

“THE PROBLEM I AM CALLING ABOUT IS…”

BACKGROUND

• STATE THE ADMISSION DIAGNOSIS AND DATE OF ADMISSION
  • STATE ANY OTHER PERTINENT DIAGNOSIS
  • STATE THE PERTIENT MEDICAL HISTORY
  • GIVE A BRIEF SYNOPSIS OF THE TREATMENT TO DATE

ASSESSMENT

ANY CHANGES FROM PRIOR ASSESSMENTS:

• MENTAL STATUS
  • VITALS
  • HEART RHYTHM CHANGES
  • SKIN COLOR
  • NEURO CHANGES
  • PAIN LEVEL AND WHERE
  • WOUND CHANGES/DRAINAGE
  • MUSCULOSKELETAL CHANGES
  • GI/GU CHANGES
  • IS THE PATIENT ON O2?

RECOMMENDATION

SUGGESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE:

• TRANSFER TO ICU
  • NEEDS MEDICAL ASSESSMENT
  • TALK TO PATIENT AND FAMILY ABOUT CODE STATUS OR OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION
  • ASK FOR A CONSULT, TEST TO BE DONE, LABS TO BE DRAWN

IF YOU BELIEVE A TEST IS NEEDED, WHAT IS IT?

• CHEST X-RAY
  • ABG
  • ECG
  • BLOOD TEST (WHICH)

IF A CHANGE IN TREATMENT IS ORDERED, THEN ASK:

• HOW OFTEN DO YOU WANT THE VITALS?
  • IF PATIENT DOES NOT IMPROVE, THEN WHAT IS NEXT STEP?
  • DOCUMENT THE CHANGE IN CONDITION, PHYSICIAN NOTIFICATION, AND ANY ADDITIONAL INTERVENTIONS IN THE PATIENT’S MEDICAL RECORD.

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

dak. . .SBAR is a technique one can use to follow when calling a physician about a critical situation with a patient. It is what MARIAN202 has posted just above me. Here is more information about SBAR and making phone calls to physicians.

There are some things you need to keep in mind about calling physicians.

1. During business hours on weekdays, call the physician's office directly.
  2. After business hours and on weekends and holidays, call the physician directly (if permitted and he/she is taking call). That includes calling cell phones, or direct page the doctor, if you know the number. Call every 5 minutes if you are getting no response to pages.
  3. Use the physician's answering service. I always advise nurses to impress on the operators that this is an emergent situation and contact with the doctor is necessary. Ask when you can expect to hear back from the doctor and follow up every 15 minutes or sooner if you have not been called back.

Before calling the physician:

1. Make sure you have seen and assessed the patient yourself
  2. Discussed the situation with another resource person
  3. Checked the chart to make sure you are calling the appropriate physician
  4. Know the admitting diagnosis and date of admission
  5. Make sure you have reviewed the most recent doctor's progress notes, orders and reviewed the previous nurses nursing notes
  6. Have the following in front of you when you make the call: (1) the chart (2) the medication sheet (3) a list of all current IVs and IV meds (4) immediate access to lab results past and current (5) most recent set of vital signs (in fact take a set of vital signs before calling) (6) any allergies (7) patient's code status

In making the actual phone call to the physician, follow SBAR. SBAR is an pneumonic for:

1. Situation - "I am calling you about (patient name). I have just assessed the patient and I am afraid that ____ is going to happen."
  2. Background - You give your physical assessment data
  3. Assessment (or analysis of the situation) - "This is what I think the problem is. I think something needs to be done." If you think the patient is deteriorating, say this.
  4. Recommendation - State your request or tell the doctor what you would like him/her to do. It is appropriate to suggest orders if none are forthcoming and to ask for parameters as to when you should call back.

Finally, don't forget to document the change in the patient's condition and that you have called the physician. All the information you need for the documentation can be gathered from the information above. Now, you have just saved a bundle of money because to purchase the course from the company who developed all of this costs lots of $$$.

Specializes in ER/ ICU.

SBAR is the same thing we have been doing for years. They just made a name for it. It's basically for new RN's to use as a guideline.

Specializes in Critical Care.

We are starting to use this system in our hospital for all "hand-offs"...dept to dept, shift to shift, and even nurse to nurse for lunch breaks. I have been told it is part of this year's JAHCO mandate for pt safety... it does seem to keep info from slipping through the cracks.

Specializes in disability.

I guess it will eventually be intergrated here to. Wonder if it will get to the stage of being a check list inventory and unless all items are accounted for it doesnt pass go Hmmmmmmmmm could produce a few holdups

+ Add a Comment