IV fluids

Nursing Students Student Assist

Published

can anyone tell me what the iv fluid sodium bicarbonate is used for? thanks for all your help.

Specializes in Critical Care, Cardiothoracics, VADs.

In my experience it's generally used (rarely) for a patient that is very acidotic (as in imminent danger of death from it) in the critical care or during an arrest that has gone on a long time.

Because bicarbonate is a acid buffer, I would think it would be used for metabolic acidosis. You would want to increase alkalinity in the body. HMMM You might also give it to keep the urine Ph levels normal to prevent acidity which can cause uric acid crystallization. Any other thoughts from you guys?

Specializes in Cardiac.
In my experience it's generally used (rarely) for a patient that is very acidotic (as in imminent danger of death from it) in the critical care or during an arrest that has gone on a long time.

Yes, we use it for just this reason. Although, it's not that rare for us to use it. Maybe it's because it's a teaching hospital?

We use LR a lot for more stable acidotic pts. Like DKA. Something that is an acidotic state but not on the level of dying pt.

I also worked in a teaching hospital, however outcomes were shown not to be improved when bicarb was used (from my understanding) so it was only used in extreme situations.

Specializes in Cardiac.

I agreed with you. It's just that we have a lot of pts who come in with extreme met acidosis, like tons of people found down in the desert. I may have someone on a bicarb ggt once a week. So it's rare, but not extremely rare, KWIM?

Well, I'm definitely not near a desert, so maybe that's it! ;)

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

sodium bicarbonate is a hypertonic solution and when used is almost exclusively to correct severe metabolic acidosis. as an infusing solution, it is administered at a very slow rate under very strict control. it's use in patients with heart, liver or kidney damage is potentially dangerous and needs to be monitored extremely carefully. here are links to sites that have information about the various types of iv fluids that are used in iv therapy.

http://www.nursewise.com/courses/iv_hour.htm - this article by a nurse includes information on electrolytes and what is contained in the various iv solutions along with some information on calculating iv rates.

+ Add a Comment