LPN scope of practiceRegister Today!
- by KMKKJ Oct 12, '08does anyone know how to get access to the actual scope of practice for the licensed practical nurse in Florida, not the nurse practice act I'm really looking for specifics.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=340200©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 11,656 Views
- Oct 12, '08 by psychpattylpni've been thru the same merry-go-round you're on.
i even called the fla. bon. what i found out, basically amounts to this...
there is no one document that defines our actual scope of practice. you have to pick thru the nurse practice act to find out what it says we can & can't do. i did this & i'll tell you what i found -- where you can go to find this.
the fla. nurse practice act is "chapter 464 of the fla. statues".
you go to the fla. statues & dig thru different sections --
64b9-12.001 statement of intent & purpose: the "practice of practical nursing" as defined by section 464.003(3)(b), fla. statues includes.....
464.003 tells what practical nursing means...
go to www.doh.state.fl.us then go to
statutes & constitution:view statutes:->2008->ch0464->section 003: online sunshine
when you get to the doh home page, on the left hand side of page, you should see a place where you can type in which statute you want to see. and once you get to the statutes you can type in different "sections"; i.e. section 003 or section 014 or section 016
each section will give you info about a different aspect of the lpn.
hope this helps. i know(from experience) it is extremely confusing & frustrating. but i did call the bon & they say this is all you can do to try & get more specific than the nurse practice act. you can pm me if you want. good luck.
- Oct 12, '08 by psychpattylpnp.s.
just noticed you only have 3 posts. you can only pm after you have 15 posts. i'll check in on this thread to see if you reply.
- Oct 14, '08 by londajhi ,i'm from ky and i can't belive florida doesn't have a detailed scope of practice for lpns boy ky bon does and it is full of stuff that we can and can't do you should take a look at ours ...
- Oct 14, '08 by labrador4122She is right, you have to pick & read through to see what lpns cant and can do.
I found that LPN can't do IV push meds except saline,and heparin
- Oct 14, '08 by londajIt's me again my hospital lets us (lpns) push Nexium ,Pepcid, Lasix,Demadex, Saline, Solumedrol, Valuim but no Phenergan, Morphine, Tordol, Zofran. N ow does that make sense? We can also hang blood but not connect the end tubing to the pt butttttttttttt I have to stay in the room and monitor that pt for 5 minutes. Now does that make sense? Thanks againLast edit by sirI on Oct 15, '08
- Oct 15, '08 by psychpattylpnAbout the same for us here & no, it makes no sense to me.
- Mar 29, '12 by rr3350Quote from KMKKJIn the hospital setting your CNO has the discretion to interpret the LAW for safe practice of the LPN as approved by the Chief of Medicine.does anyone know how to get access to the actual scope of practice for the licensed practical nurse in Florida, not the nurse practice act I'm really looking for specifics.