- by DeeDee_RN Feb 18I am a new nurse and got busy the other day, I withdrew some morphine out of a vial and completely forgot to waste the remaining, my preceptor told me not to sweat it but I feel nervous about it...any advice?
- Feb 18 by eatmysoxRNI always waste when I pull it from the pyxis.
~ No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent -Eleanor Roosevelt ~
- Feb 18 by HouTxYour preceptor's advice was inappropriate.
Many organizations are very strict about their wastage policies, as this is frequently one of the first indicators of drug diversion. FYI, hospitals have ongoing audits that will reveal any lapses in compliance. Make sure you are familiar with the organizational policy. Talk to your clinical instructor about this and see if you need to any sort of follow up. It would be better if you initiated any necessary follow-up rather than have it come back to bite you.
- Feb 18 by Orange TreeYou're new and you reported it to your preceptor. I'm guessing you'll be fine. But just in case, look out your window and make sure the cops aren't there.
- Feb 18 by dah dohYou should have wasted in the Pyxis right away or immediately after you gave the dose but definitely before you discarded the remainder of the vial. It isn't always possible immediately but you should definitely do so before leaving for the day. I always do a pocket pat down for vials and meds at the end of my shift so I can waste and discard before I go home. Don't become a statistic by getting fired for stealing narcotics because you forgot about it!
- Feb 18 by CrufflerJJDespite what your preceptor says, SWEAT IT.
Each & Every time you access a "controlled substance" from the Pyxis, make double-darn sure that you account for the amount used, and the amount wasted.
To do otherwise leaves you WIDE OPEN to diversion suspicions.