Texas to California License

  1. Hello, all!
    I am soon graduation with my BSN in the state of Texas and soon will start applying to the wonderful world of graduate residency programs.
    I am planning on moving to California post-graduation and am wondering what I should do regarding my license.
    Do I apply to have my license in CA with my NCLEX, will I be able to apply to receive both licenses TX and CA? Or should I receive my TX license and apply for my CA license by endorsement? That may take 12 weeks to receive and complete, so may interfere with my residency program if I am offered one. What is the best way to go about this?
  2. 4 Comments

  3. by   Rose_Queen
    You can take the NCLEX anywhere it is offered. What matters is where you apply for licensure. If you are definitely planning to work and live in CA, it wouldn't make much sense to apply for licensure in TX if you have no plans to work in TX.
  4. by   Sour Lemon
    I moved from Texas to (Southern) California, too ...but after a little research, I decided to work in Texas for two years, first. There were several new grads in my Texas group from California. They were unable to find new graduate positions in their home state. Do you have a place to live and financial support in California?
  5. by   chare
    Last edit by chare on Oct 14
  6. by   RebellescumRN
    I had a similar situation, from CA and went to school in TX but I planned to move back to LA once I graduated. I recommend getting the CA license first since it takes A LONG LONG TIME. I ended up taking my NCLEX and sending my results to CA BRN and getting my license there first. The whole process took about 3 months. Then when I decided to stay in TX for a year I was able to get a temporary license good for 90 days while CA verified my license for my permanent TX license. The temp texas license was super fast to get it took like a week tops.