New Grad Nurse, First Job QuestionRegister Today!
- by RN2bNicole1988 Jun 28, '12Hello! After thousands of applications, I was offered a position (1 of 6) at Desert Valley Hospital. I was more than excited to jump for the offer when they told me they could train me in critical care. I just had a few questions. Anyone know the starting pay rate for a new grad in Victorville? Has anyone else been a new grad at this hospital?Are any of the other five who got picked to begin July 11th on this site?
- 2,114 Views
- Jun 30, '12 by RN2bNicole1988Yea! I do the background check and everything the 9th at 9am ( i thought that was late since we begin orientation on the 11th). All i heard was that its a three year contract and from what I learned the pay begins at 26$ an hour?? I'm not sure!
- Hi, just curious if you started Desert Valley and how you like it. I just got accepted to their new grad program starting in Oct. Was the starting pay $26/hr? I meet with HR later this week, so don't have any details yet. I am excited either way...I graduated in January, so I am happy to have a job!
- Sep 17, '12 by RN2bNicole1988Hi! Welcome Yes and I am currently at DVH and I must say I do love it! The pay scale sucks.. $26.81 starting off..but that didn't matter to me.. I just wanted experience and a job I love. The preceptors I had were wonderful and I had a great experience on the MedSurge floor. The contract is 3 years I don't know if they told you that but this hospital stresses growth from within so you can always advance yourself to a different position within those 3 years.. Hope this helps!
- Thank you so much for the response! I, too, am less concerned about pay and more about getting experience and having a job I love. I am thankful for the job and excited to start! I did know about the contract and I am fine with that. As my husband says, at least I know I'll have a job for 3 years. I am happy to hear you like DVH and maybe I'll see you there.
- Also, just curious, is it straight time for the full 12 hours?? Thanks!
- Sep 17, '12 by RN2bNicole1988I'm not sure what unit you will be on, but when you first begin its 2- 12 hour shifts with your preceptor, one 8 hour shift with either a CNA, RT, PT, Resource Nurse, etc and one 4 hour shift thats a class with the other residency nurse. good luck! I'll be in ICU if you ever have any questions!
- Thanks for all the info!! I appreciate it!! I will be starting in Med/Surg from what I've been told, but maybe I'll stop by the ICU.