how long till' I get my license!?
- 0Sep 28, '11 by rugrad11Hello everyone,
So here's my question that I'm hoping someone has an answer to. I just recently passed my nclex this month and was wondering how long it takes for my license status to change from "pending" to "active" online, and to receive my paper license in the mail? I am currently registered in NJ and though I have nothing against NJ, I understand that the our beloved BON moves at a rather glacial pace. I took my nclex-RN first week of sept and found out a couple days later that I had passed. My friend took her exam a couple of days after I did and already received her license no. I have a feeling it is due to the fact that I completed my finger prints/criminal background check on the late side. I fingerprinted a couple days before the exam, while she had hers completed mid-june. Could this be the reason as to why I have not received my license no. yet? Anyone from NJ have any suggestions?
- 0Sep 28, '11 by ren3741LPNMy original license is from NJ. I received my license number 1 month to the day I took the NCLEX. I took the NCLEX June 26 and received my license Number July 26. Everyone is different. My girlfriend only waited a couple of weeks for her number. I would call them and see how long they say it will take and where they are on completing your info. The lady I spoke with said from the time they receive your app the whole process takes 8 weeks. I received the paper license in the mail Friday or Saturday of that week. They had my fingerprints from when I was a HHA. They requested them from Sagem Morpho. Not sure if doing fingerprints far in advance makes a difference. NJ BON is slow IMO.
- 0Sep 28, '11 by JustBeachyNurseCurrent average is 4-6 weeks post passing the NCLEX assuming that your background check is clear. I took and passed the NCLEX in August. My license was converted to "active" with a number about 5 weeks later, which is pretty consistent with others in my graduating class results.
- 0Sep 28, '11 by SweetseRNQuote from amyminaExactly the same for me in NY...And when that pretty piece of parchment comes in the mail...It is so exciting...So much more of a prized possession than my degree. Totally worth the wait...Not sure about NJ, but in NY, three days after the test I showed as active in the online system and had my license about two weeks after taking the test in my hand.
- 0Sep 29, '11 by JustBeachyNurseNJ's delay is also due to the fact that you can sit for the NCLEX before you are fingerprinted & have the background check completed. Both components must be passed before a license is issued. Some states complete the background check before issuing the ATT. In NJ the background check takes approximately 2-3 weeks to come back from the NJSP & the FBI.
- 0Sep 29, '11 by rugrad11Quote from mom-n-studentI did my fingerprints a couple of days before I took my nclex...so I figured it would take a little longer to receive my license no. I called BON today and was told that I had my background cleared on the same day I took my exam...and to just wait for the board to give me clearance. 10-25 business days is what I was told to wait...I guess I'm just being a bit too impatient...can't sit still till' I know for a fact that I am officially a registered RN!NJ's delay is also due to the fact that you can sit for the NCLEX before you are fingerprinted & have the background check completed. Both components must be passed before a license is issued. Some states complete the background check before issuing the ATT. In NJ the background check takes approximately 2-3 weeks to come back from the NJSP & the FBI.
- 0Sep 29, '11 by JustBeachyNurseI remember when my sister got her license years ago, she had to wait over 2 months for an authorization to test, then another 6 weeks for her license and that was BEFORE fingerprinting and background checks were required. But back then you could get a "temporary" license to work as a graduate nurse or graduate practical nurse because it could take 6+ months to get your license but the temp expired immediately if you did not pass the NCLEX. NJ no longer offers temporary nursing licenses since the prices is "quicker" now (4-6 weeks vs. 4-6 months).
Hang in there, just keep checking.
- 0Oct 3, '11 by dancinglambIs your number posted on the BON site yet? If you need a license for a job, they can fax verification for you.
Otherwise, it was about three weeks from when I passed the test that the number was posted. Then I received a letter with the number saying that the actual license was on its way. The license itself came maybe 10 days after that.
So, all in all:
3 weeks for number, and maybe another 2-3 weeks for the paper license
sunsettbay5: This is where you go to look for your license: https://newjersey.mylicense.com/