How did you get financing for the Associates Degree in Nursing program?Register Today!
This is a discussion on How did you get financing for the Associates Degree in Nursing program? in Excelsior College Online Nursing Degrees, part of Online Nursing Schools, Traditional Schools, Colleges, Universities ... I filled out a FAFSA but then saw where you can't use a federal grant for the Associates in Nursing...by snowiebella Feb 27, '12I filled out a FAFSA but then saw where you can't use a federal grant for the Associates in Nursing degree at Excelsior? Did you try to get scholarships or get a loan? I am a single parent so hope to find some financial aid. Trying to get that worked out so I can start soon. Any input would be appreciated.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=679710©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 3,232 Views
- Feb 27, '12 by natnat122Quote from snowiebellaSo far I've just been paying myself.. It's hard but I'm determined..I filled out a FAFSA but then saw where you can't use a federal grant for the Associates in Nursing degree at Excelsior? Did you try to get scholarships or get a loan? I am a single parent so hope to find some financial aid. Trying to get that worked out so I can start soon. Any input would be appreciated.
- Feb 28, '12 by matynurseI got a loan through Sallie Mae. They do have repayment plans where you can defer repaying until you are done or just pay the interest until you're done. Good luck!
- Feb 28, '12 by holli_80_73I too am facing this problem for next semester. Since I have been out of work going to school I have exhausted my savings because of things coming up/fees here and there. I wanted to take out a loan for next semester but I have been told that since I have a BS I can't get a loan or grant--basically nothing for help. I have even been told that appealing the denial will also be rejected. I only borrowed 5k in my entire undergrad and 17k total for both my BS and MPH so I haven't maxed out my loan limits at all. I have never missed a payment so I am not in default to be denied or anything. I too am wondering about funding because with gas being so high, NCLEX fees, supplies for this coming semester I can't do it. What is someone to do that already has a degree? I have been wondering what will happen if I can't pay..just drop out?...all that work just to have to wait ..anyone out there faced this problem? I have looked into every scholarship there is to get as well. Most of them are just super competitive so I can't rely on the fact that I might get one
Any suggestions from someone that went through this???
- Feb 28, '12 by TammyG77I am facing the same problems. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!! I have heard of many nursing grants and scholarships but I have failed to find them!! Thanks everyone
- Feb 28, '12 by Esme12
- Feb 28, '12 by holli_80_73Yes...there is a nursing scholarship program and it is great...but....you have to have a EFC of zero, good credit and answer 3 essay questions. They choose 450 winners from the entire nation including Puerto Rico, outer islands of ours, Hawaii and overseas applicants on bases. If you are a miracle recipient then you owe them 2 years in service but it is a nice deal if you manage to land one. It is just hard to bank on that you might be one of the 450...they also have loan repayment for service but that excludes me because I need it beforehand.
Many states have scholarships in exchange for service...just so happens ours is closed right now! and the hospital scholarships that service our school are also closed with no notice of opening back up again since I guess there is a flood of nurses now. lucky me
I would borrow from my parents but I know they will not help me..my dad laughed at me for 30 min and changed the subject when I told him I was going to school.
I guess I will find a way..I have until Aug. but I still would like to hear about anybody's experiences out there with loans and such...this is major. I can't believe they do not have more measures in place for those wanting to go back for school if they didn't max out the loans..I mean you have to pay them back with interest! so it is not free money or anything.
- Feb 28, '12 by foreverLaurWait, why can't you use federal loans?? I'm in an ADN program and I'm using federal subsidized loans to pay for it. I have a previous bachelors degree as well and had no problems getting federal loans.
- Feb 28, '12 by Mama_Cashew@holli_80_73, I'm not sure who told you that you couldn't get a student loan with a previous degree, but they lied. Since you have a Bachelors degree already, you can't get any grant money, but as long as you haven't reach the limit on undergraduate loans, you should still be able to take out student loans. I'm not talking about private loans either.