IV Benadryl - Page 2Register Today!
- Feb 17 by mortewas she in late 50's or older?Quote from kmrn1737Agreed. I def thought I gave it a little too fast, but never thought that could be a reaction. Thanks everyone.
- Feb 17 by kmrn173752 I believe. Was in for a headache.
- Feb 18 by morteAh, a little young then, but possible. Apparently, it is a known sequelae of aging in women that some lose their tolerance, and it gives them restless leg syndrome.Quote from kmrn173752 I believe. Was in for a headache.
- Feb 18 by crazy&cuteRNI had a pt. allergic to PO benny but not IV.
- Feb 18 by noyesnoOne of my patients developed a "locked jaw" 10 minutes after I gave him IV benadryl. He wrote down, as he could not talk, that he needed more IV benadryl to fix the problem. I stated, "if I call the doctor to ask for more IV benadryl for an adverse reaction to IV benadryl he is most likely going to discontinue the medication completely, not order more of it." He begged for me to not call the doctor. I called the doctor, he discontinued the medication. The patient threatened to leave AMA and called the nursing supervisor.
Moral of the story: If you want more of a medication, don't fake a reaction to it.
- Feb 19 by Hanginten247On two separate occasions, I have given IV Benadryl to middle-aged African American women and they had both had this coughing fit and severe confusion, then became obtunded for a minute or two. Scared the daylights out of me, but I specifically remember pushing over like 3 mins at least. Very interesting to hear about the acute anti cholinergic syndrome, might have happened.