NYC's Lenox Hill Hospital Nurses Mull Strike ActionRegister Today!
This is a discussion on NYC's Lenox Hill Hospital Nurses Mull Strike Action in Collective Bargaining / Nursing Union, part of General Nursing ... Lenox Hill Hospital, an institution with more than a century of history, is staffed by the great...by Emergency RN Oct 17, '12Lenox Hill Hospital, an institution with more than a century of history, is staffed by the great nurses of the New York Professional Nurses Union (NYPNU). After Lenox Hill was taken over by North Shore - Long Island Jewish Health System NYPNU has fought to keep nursing at the stellar standard which its community deserves. As the old nursing contract is nearly up, NS-LIJ has now threatened to undo years of hard won clinical excellence simply for the sake of boosting their already profitable bottom line.
NYPNU nurses have decided to confront the "Money Uber Alles" bosses of NS-LIJ, and will strike if they have to in order to protect their patients and their own nursing professionalism.
Please support these valiant nurses in their struggle to maintain nursing excellence!
Please take two minutes and listen to these fine passionate nurses speak for themselves of why they love what they do:
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=792785©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,531 Views
- Oct 18, '12 by DoGoodThenGoHeard from a friend who works there several weeks ago that things may go that way. Apparently the joy of being saved from bankruptcy and closure by the marriage of Lenox Hill to NS-LIJ has left the honeymoon phase and now things are down to the nitty-gritty of daily *married* life. *LOL*
Found this interesting: "The nurses also blasted the proposal for changing another protection in their current contract that prohibits nurses from performing non-nursing functions like answering phones, stripping beds or other duties that clerks and aides do."
So LHH nurses do not make beds nor answer telephones?
Lenox Hill Hospital is in a delicate situation location wise. To the north you've got Mount Sinai, and south NYP, both activity compete with LHH for patients and often physicans have admitting rights at one, two or all three.
- Oct 19, '12 by amygarsideI admire you for what you believe in. Being a nurse really means you are there to take care and protect the patient even from the hospitals themselves. I just hope that everything will be peacefully resolve.
- Oct 20, '12 by DoGoodThenGoJust also wanted to say that according to published news/financial reports while NS-LIJ is doing well (it is one of the few NY state healthcare systems in decent if not flush with cash, afterall they paid for the Lenox Hill deal by writing a check with no debt involved IIRC), Lenox Hill hospital itself is a work in progress/another matter.
While losses aren't what they were leading up to the potential closure a few years back, the place still isn't 100% out of the red. LH also is still having problems with physicans leaving.
On another note NS-LIJ is still going ahead with plans for the new urgent care center on part of the former Saint Vinny's site (O'Toole Building). According to the same published financial report the land itself is worth about 54 million USD.
- Oct 27, '12 by laborerNational Nurse United/will help... NNU Stands Behind Lenox Hill RNs on Fair Contract to Protect Patient Care | National Nurses United
- Nov 2, '12 by Emergency RNJust learned that NYPNU and NS-LIJ may have reached a tentative agreement; it looks like the strike may have been averted. Regardless, it shows how important it is for nursing to stand strong and stand together in order to preserve not only employment rights but to safeguard the care of our patients.
Support Your Nursing Unions!
- Nov 4, '12 by billyboblewisMy organization was just privatized and taken over by non-profit Evergreen Presbyterian Ministries. The gave all RN's the title of consultants and put us on salary. We remain on a standard 12 hour day, 4 days one week and 3 days the next and they pay us for only 76 hours because we dont work 40 hours the second week. I was flabergasted to find this out and really dont know how to go to get this remediated. Is this what republicans call middle class progress by privatizaton?
- Nov 4, '12 by NRSKarenRNTentative agreement reached
November 2, 2012 | Blog post published by NYPNU
I am pleased to inform you that as of 6 pm today, we have reached tentative agreement with Lenox Hill/North Shore-LIJ pending the ratification vote of our membership.
Contract Ratification Voting Hours Extended for Monday 11/5Last edit by NRSKarenRN on Nov 4, '12
- Nov 4, '12 by laborerThis is Texas justice... if you don't agree, hit the road !
- Nov 4, '12 by laborerEvergreen is based in Texas...