progressive care to CVICU?Register Today!
- by turnforthenurseRN Apr 16, '12I currently work on a progressive care unit at a small community hospital. We occasionally float to ICU and even the ER, but that isn't very often.
I love my job, but I've always wanted to work in a CVICU and recover fresh open hearts. I want to further my career!
On my unit, we work with gtts (Cardizem, NTG [but titrate only to chest pain, not for BP], dopamine, dobutamine (but usually when the pt came from ICU and they are being weaned off), octreotide, Lasix, heparin). We titrate, but we have limits. We don't deal with the "bigger bears" (neo, levo, etc) - those patients go straight to ICU.
Would my experience in progressive be good enough to be able to land a job in CVICU? I've been a nurse for about a year, I have my BSN, and I'm also ACLS-certified. I'm currently studying for my PCCN and hope to take that later this year. If I land in job in ICU, I think I would like to get my CCRN as well once I meet the requirements.
- 1,900 Views
- Apr 17, '12 by turnforthenurseRNthank you! I'm comfortable with EKG's except for 12-leads, but I'm in the process of trying to learn that. It's just hard trying to teach this to myself...I need someone to explain it to me haha. My hospital used to offer a 12-lead EKG course but now they are doing away with it and are thinking about just doing a CBL (online learning) instead and I'm comfortable with labs, too, but maybe not to a CVICU's expectations I know with time I will get there!
- Apr 17, '12 by CVmursenarythe book "12 lead confidence" is very good. It is a workbook that allows you to work through all sorts of different 12 leads and helps you understand the physiology. If you work through the whole book you will be very good at interpreting 12 leads.
- Apr 22, '12 by turnforthenurseRNI will look into that! Thank you so much!
- Apr 22, '12 by Cynthia Wood, RNYour CVICU will be blessed to have you!
- Apr 24, '12 by turnforthenurseRNahh thanks I hope so! I don't plan on applying until later this year because there currently aren't any openings for a fellowship. I know I won't be able to get in unless I have previous solid ICU experience!