Out of State to CARegister Today!
- by USARN1114 Apr 21, '12I am an experienced RN relocating to CA for my significant other's job. I have an active license in Virginia, and have sent all my materials to CA BRN for license. I received a letter today that says I am missing Sociology and that is holding up my license. My undergrad didn't require sociology (I have a BSN from a Big Ten School!!!).
Do I need to take it ASAP? Or send in course descriptions? Or argue? I can't find a list of required courses on their website so I'm not sure how I would have known that missing Sociology was a big deal?
Anyone run into this issue?
- Apr 21, '12 by TheCommuterTake the sociology course as soon as you can. The California BRN is not going to budge on this requirement, no matter how eloquently you argue or petition the situation. Enroll in a sociology course, or test out of sociology through CLEP. Good luck to you!
- Apr 22, '12 by winter_greenBetter yet, call the BRN directly and ask them over the phone =) Phone is listed on their website... google BRN CA.
I would love to hear more about the Virgina nursing vs. California nursing... I am afraid to move out of CA due to nurse patient ratios we have here in CA and none in other states. I don't know how I would manage patient care, just the thought seem overwhelming... is it bad? I'm sure you will be about to know more once you start here in CA. Good luck on your job search! =)
- Apr 22, '12 by caliotter3You can probably enroll in and complete a self-paced online course in sociology faster than dealing with the alternatives. The CA BRN is notorious for being hard to contact and deal with. I would look for a course from a CA school so they can't throw that roadblock at you.
- Apr 22, '12 by perioddramaI think some local community colleges offer Sociology as an online class. You can look into it.
- Apr 22, '12 by USARN1114Wow! This is surprising, I didn't know Sociology was required that strictly.
Has anyone been able to find where they list course requirements? I am hesitant to sign up for Sociology only to find out something else is required too! I have a BSN from a MAJOR, big 10 university!
Thanks for your help?
Can you clarify what CLEP is?
I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply
PS--nursing in Virginia is awesome! I never feel like I have too many patients, and the job market where I live is excellent (ie many many openings, hiring new grads into the ICU, etc.) Plus you can't beat Blue Ridge Mountains, Washington, D.C, low cost of living and open minded/socially liberal area. I would stay except for my significant other's job move
- Apr 26, '12 by TheCommuterQuote from USARN1114CLEP stands for College Level Examination Program. You take a test in the subject of your choice, and if you pass, you are awarded 3 college credits. CLEP exams are significantly cheaper and far less time-consuming than taking the actual course. http://clep.collegeboard.org/examCan you clarify what CLEP is?
- Jul 16, '12 by cbswinbeI am having the same issue with CA board. I just received a BSN from a a nursing program currently ranked 6th in the nation and I am being told that I did not complete 4 courses required by CA. I was told I did not show completion of a 'Social Sciences' course. Is this requirement strictly sociology? I took several psychology courses; psychology is a social science so I am a bit confused and am having the worst time getting in contact with the Board :/ Did you end up having to take a sociology course?