$20 for a new RN grad in a family practice?Register Today!
- by gkvegan Mar 3, '12Is $20 an hour a fair salary for a new grad (BSN) in a family practice in the DC area? I like the practice but $20 seems pretty low.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=681704©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,535 Views
- Mar 3, '12 by caliotter3Office jobs typically pay lower, think medical assistant for $9 or $10 an hour. I would check with others in the area doing similar work, but I think you will find that this rate is probably about on par.
- Mar 3, '12 by Nurse2bKimberlyI've been looking at LPN jobs in offices in the DC area, and most of them start @ $15-19..so I'm just assuming that $20/hr for an RN sounds about average. Office jobs don't seem to pay that well in this area, but the hours are pretty decent, and no weekends (for most of the listings I've seen anyways). Those seem to be the perks of the position. Good luck & congrats on your job offer
- Mar 3, '12 by gkveganThanks Kimberly. Good luck to you as well. To bad the cost of living is so high here.
- Mar 3, '12 by Nurse2bKimberlyI know! And sadly it seems that the positions in the big cities DC & Baltimore appear to be the highest in the area too
- Mar 4, '12 by elprupI tend to think that the wage is low. If you are in a big city as opposed to a rural area? I got $20 in very rural area here in northern CA. I left after a year. And now trying to get into VA Clinic near me that pays more than double! You could do it for the experience? But what other profession does one have to take a paycut to do the job? Nursing is so dysfunctional.
- Mar 13, '12 by ColleenRN2BIt sounds low to me as well, but around here an RN in a clinic is almost unheard of. They typically staff with MA's and a few LPN's with RN's used for triage only. When they pay the MA's and LPN's "poorly", $20 an hour seems like an extremely generous salary!
- Mar 15, '12 by gkveganThey ended up offering me a few dollars more so i took it. It seems like most of the hospitals in the area only start at $24. So wages for new grades are pretty low all around.
- Jul 30, '12 by helpmeI work at a family clinic in rural KY. My initial salary was $ 25. After 2 years I make $30/hr w/out benefits. I works not only for clinical stuff, but also IT stuff. I fix almost all computer/EMR and IT problems. Am I underpaid ??? What do you think ??