is 1 year enough to get a new job?

Posted

Specializes in new grad. Has 2 years experience.

Hi everyone,

I am wondering when is the "good amount" of time for you to leave your current job and work for another hospital? The current one I am working for is too far and would like to look for something closer (paying for 2 places and driving back and forth every week is exhausted). Thank you everyone for your input. 😄

Sour Lemon

Has 11 years experience.

5 hours ago, crystalpan said:

Hi everyone,

I am wondering when is the "good amount" of time for you to leave your current job and work for another hospital? The current one I am working for is too far and would like to look for something closer (paying for 2 places and driving back and forth every week is exhausted). Thank you everyone for your input. 😄

In many cases, it is enough ...depending on what area you hope to work in and the job market where you're located.

FolksBtrippin, BSN, RN

Specializes in Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Community, Nurse Manager. Has 5 years experience.

1 year is enough. I left after 11 months.

Jedrnurse, BSN, RN

Specializes in school nurse. Has 29 years experience.

One year seems to be the magic "minimum", but I've seen postings that ask for 2 years experience.

crystalpan

Specializes in new grad. Has 2 years experience.

12 hours ago, Sour Lemon said:

In many cases, it is enough ...depending on what area you hope to work in and the job market where you're located.

I am in NJ now, I just want to get a job closer to where I live so I don't need to travel so often.

crystalpan

Specializes in new grad. Has 2 years experience.

1 hour ago, FolksBtrippin said:

1 year is enough. I left after 11 months.

Could I ask if you go from med/surg to another med/surg or to a different unit with 11 months of experience? thank you.

crystalpan

Specializes in new grad. Has 2 years experience.

55 minutes ago, Jedrnurse said:

One year seems to be the magic "minimum", but I've seen postings that ask for 2 years experience.

I thought one year is the minimum but I heard other people saying 2 years so I got confused. Thank you for your time!

FolksBtrippin, BSN, RN

Specializes in Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Community, Nurse Manager. Has 5 years experience.

19 minutes ago, crystalpan said:

Could I ask if you go from med/surg to another med/surg or to a different unit with 11 months of experience? thank you.

I went from inpatient psych to community psych.

Start applying and see what happens.

crystalpan

Specializes in new grad. Has 2 years experience.

On 7/13/2020 at 9:38 AM, FolksBtrippin said:

I went from inpatient psych to community psych.

Start applying and see what happens.

Hi FolksBtrippin,

thanks for your reply. Should I starting applying now or wait until I reach 1 year? Is applying now too early?

FolksBtrippin, BSN, RN

Specializes in Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Community, Nurse Manager. Has 5 years experience.

4 hours ago, crystalpan said:

Hi FolksBtrippin,

thanks for your reply. Should I starting applying now or wait until I reach 1 year? Is applying now too early?

Does it hurt to try? If you get a new job that you like, it's a win, correct?

crystalpan

Specializes in new grad. Has 2 years experience.

55 minutes ago, FolksBtrippin said:

Does it hurt to try? If you get a new job that you like, it's a win, correct?

True. I will look into it. Thanks. 😄